The Student Room Group

Is there a teacher bias towards UCAS preidcted grades in Independent Schools?

Hello,

I have been working on my UCAS for 2021 entry application. So basically I got awarded my predicted grades back in September (1 st day back) and they were BCD for Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

Our grades were awarded on the basis of just the Online Exam qe did during lockdown in May/June. Although, the teachers kept saying its evidence based and on professional judgement, they just awarded the final predicted grades based on an Online Lockdown Exam where it was highly likely and did happen where in students cheated on their exam.

In my Physics Lockdown Exam, I handed in my paper late by just half and hour as there were issues with the internet and printer at my home. I admit I forgot to tell the teacher and update her, but who uses their phone and computer and gets distracted when doing an important exam that has the greatest and only impact when doing an Online Exam?

So after that, things got rifty and the subject teacher assumed that since I had handed in my Exam to her late via Online, she thought I clearly cheated.

She asked me to sit the exam again amidst all the Coronavirus Crisis impact that everyone is and has faced in all aspects in our lives. In that exam, I scored a C/D in that exam. When I asked them what the predicted grade for my Physics will be? They didnt say anything. Instead they just instructed and forced the Maths and Chemistry Department and claimed and accused me that I cheated on that exam. However, that was not true.

After that, I was asked by the Maths Department and forced by them to sit the same AS Exam on Maths face to face and to whivh I had to agree. In that paper, I scored a B compared to my Online Exam which I had scored an A*.

Now fast forward to September, when I got the Ucas predicted grades I was extremely disappointed as they had already had made up their mind and just based the predicted grades on just that Online Lockdown Exam , where it was clearly obvious that most students cheated on the exams and with the emotional, social and economic impact in our lives caused by the Coronavirus crisis when we did the exam.

They said then to provide 3/4 class assessments evidence /homework evidence to increase our grades. So I asked them, how much they are then going to increase the grades by? They said only by 1 grade. I just was dumbfounded and asked them why they are doing this?

The head of sixth form and the physics teacher claim and taunt me everytime that I am 'perfectionist , i am perfectionist and autistic and autistic and autistic. I look at answers for homeworl, 100% and pester teachers via Teams for help. '

I said to them that this isnt entirely ture. In Year 12, I only looked at the mark scheme and textbook solution to only see whether I was going on the right track for a homework, but in no way i am a perfectionist and always aim for 100% for everything.

They clearly didnt and dont believe me whenever I say that and prove them wrong.

They have always undtermined and downgraded my efforts and time towards each A Level subject I have done.

I am in no ways rude to any of the teachers and I always communicate things clearly if it is related to a subject/Ucas application question and say things very politely and clearly and face to face and in written.

They clearly favour other students than me and have already had this uncosicous bias towards me.

They have also downgraded my current predicted grades further based on the Autumn Half term report we got.

I am extremely confused now what to do.

I dont want the exams to be cancelled and to be faced like the 2020 cohort had.

I dont want my grades to be based on thse people.

They cant even handle a single situation for students like me.
It feels like I and my parents are wasting money and time when the services are not provided for a student to improve like me , given that I got to an Independent/private school.

Foolish ladies.

Please help me anyone.

(Sorry for the speolling issues. I have been typing this very very fast).
You were given mock exams to simulate how you would perform in a real exam, and got a C/D, thus you were predicted that. saying you are a perfectionist doesn't mean in any way they should just predict you higher. if you are a perfectionist, then demonstrate this in your exams. As harsh as it sounds, regardless of corona, there is going to be pupils who get As and A*s in their mocks, so they cant make allowances just because you want them.
hello, sorry to hear this that sucks really bad

i’m actually in the same position, but all you can do is just let it go

are you planning to retake may 2021? are you doing it with your school or independent? i have the option of going back to sixth form but if i can achieve by myself i might do that instead.. what about you??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending