Juneptpt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ideally I would like to be nearer home for uni, but I'm not sure if this matters or not. I think that I would be homesick, but does distance matter with homesickness? I mean, I could be just as homesick 2 hours away than 4 hours away. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this?
I really like the look of medical sciences at leeds but not sure if I should apply since its 4 hours away, and I would want to visit home at least once a term.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Weigh up the pros and cons of each place and then consider what is best for you personally.

Homesickness, you could be living a few blocks away from home and feel homesick. The difference is the chances of going home are more if you are closer.
It depends, have you been away from home before, and for how long? How did you cope? Some find that after sometime the homesickness fades, but for others it is tougher.
They recommend taking things that make you feel at home with you, and making your new place homely to you helps.
Juneptpt
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
Weigh up the pros and cons of each place and then consider what is best for you personally.

Homesickness, you could be living a few blocks away from home and feel homesick. The difference is the chances of going home are more if you are closer.
It depends, have you been away from home before, and for how long? How did you cope? Some find that after sometime the homesickness fades, but for others it is tougher.
They recommend taking things that make you feel at home with you, and making your new place homely to you helps.
Thank you for the reply. The longest I have been away from home without my family is three days, which was fine, but then again it was only three days. I’ve been away for 10 days with family which i coped with, but I’m more worried about missing my family than anything else.
I think I may still apply to Leeds even if I end up not going, but it is a space on my form that I don’t want to be wasted.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Juneptpt)
Thank you for the reply. The longest I have been away from home without my family is three days, which was fine, but then again it was only three days. I’ve been away for 10 days with family which i coped with, but I’m more worried about missing my family than anything else.
I think I may still apply to Leeds even if I end up not going, but it is a space on my form that I don’t want to be wasted.
You get used to it after a bit, though there have been cases of some few people not getting used to it. Google ways to stop homesickness etc there are some good things you'll find.
Juneptpt
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
You get used to it after a bit, though there have been cases of some few people not getting used to it. Google ways to stop homesickness etc there are some good things you'll find.
Ok thank you, I think I am going to apply to Leeds now!
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Juneptpt)
Ok thank you, I think I am going to apply to Leeds now!
If that is what you want to do, go for it. Good luck either way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
32%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (31)
20.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.33%

Watched Threads