Amiz61
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After not being happy with the grades the school gave me with BBB, i decided im gonna retake all three next summer. Since i wont essentially be 'predicted' a grade ,do you guys recon i could get an offer for AAB?
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amiz61)
After not being happy with the grades the school gave me with BBB, i decided im gonna retake all three next summer. Since i wont essentially be 'predicted' a grade ,do you guys recon i could get an offer for AAB?
Depends how many applicants each uni gets, but resitting to go from BBB to AAB in a year is pretty realistic so they might give you the conditional offer anyway when they see you have resit grades pending.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Amiz61 :^_^: I'd always recommend getting in touch with the university directly for advice on their particular entry requirements. But I think as long as you aren't using all of your five options applying to universities asking for AAB then that's ok. Pick a couple of 'aspirational' choices, but also make sure you have some options as a form of back up that you are certain will be able to consider you based on your BBB. It's maybe an idea to ask your reference (whoever that may be) to detail that you have decided to resit and are hoping to achieve 'XXX grades' and ask them to explain your commitment to your studies etc.

It depends very much on which course you're interested in and what your subjects are, but generally speaking I think we would be comfortable to consider you for an offer and we usually ask for AAB-BBB. As I say, definitely check with the university you're hoping to go to directly and ask them what they think! They'll be able to comfortably advise on what they're looking for in an applicant in order for you to receive an offer and they'll be able to clear anything up.

Which courses are you thinking of applying to? Have you already roughly decided on your five choices?

Best of luck!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
MrSoloDolo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
are you doing it independently or with a school? in the same position now not sure which one to do
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Depends how many applicants each uni gets, but resitting to go from BBB to AAB in a year is pretty realistic so they might give you the conditional offer anyway when they see you have resit grades pending.
Right, i'll definitely apply for aspirational targets then, i guess applying doesn't hurt even if I get rejected. Just have to have to backup options, thanks for your help!
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hi Amiz61 :^_^: I'd always recommend getting in touch with the university directly for advice on their particular entry requirements. But I think as long as you aren't using all of your five options applying to universities asking for AAB then that's ok. Pick a couple of 'aspirational' choices, but also make sure you have some options as a form of back up that you are certain will be able to consider you based on your BBB. It's maybe an idea to ask your reference (whoever that may be) to detail that you have decided to resit and are hoping to achieve 'XXX grades' and ask them to explain your commitment to your studies etc.

It depends very much on which course you're interested in and what your subjects are, but generally speaking I think we would be comfortable to consider you for an offer and we usually ask for AAB-BBB. As I say, definitely check with the university you're hoping to go to directly and ask them what they think! They'll be able to comfortably advise on what they're looking for in an applicant in order for you to receive an offer and they'll be able to clear anything up.

Which courses are you thinking of applying to? Have you already roughly decided on your five choices?

Best of luck!

- Caitlin
Oh wow thanks for the reply, didn't expect to get a response from a top university such as yourselves, especially one of my choices! I am looking to apply for mechanical / aero engineering with a sandwich year so a lot of the offers from unis i am looking to go to, want AAB for a bachelors and A*AA for a masters . I'll definitely make sure to get into touch with universities then as i have yet to do so and get back into contact with my old form tutor who was my reference .As for the 5 universities i have been looking, they are: Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Yourselves and Swansea. (in no particular order).

Thank you for the reply definitely cleared up some questions i had!
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrSoloDolo)
are you doing it independently or with a school? in the same position now not sure which one to do
I'm doing it through the school, its much easier to do as they review it, highlight any mistakes for you to then correct and are a reference point for your personal statement. If you get into contact with your school they give you a buzzword and you should be good to go.
Hoped this helped
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh wow thanks for the reply, didn't expect to get a response from a top university such as yourselves, especially one of my choices! I am looking to apply for mechanical / aero engineering with a sandwich year so a lot of the offers from unis i am looking to go to, want AAB for a bachelors and A*AA for a masters . I'll definitely make sure to get into touch with universities then as i have yet to do so and get back into contact with my old form tutor who was my reference .As for the 5 universities i have been looking, they are: Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Yourselves and Swansea. (in no particular order).

Oh that's great! What are the chances we're one of the unis you're considering! :sogood: I'm glad I messaged.

For studying Aero-mechanical/Mechanical Engineering with ourselves we're looking for AAB-BBB, with both Physics and Maths at A Level as necessary subjects. This is for first year entry to our 5 year MEng degree. If you wanted to carry out your degree in a shorter period of time and apply for second year entry, we would need you to have higher grades (A*AA-AAB) I'm not sure if you're aware yet but we have our virtual Open days coming up (28th October and 14th November). I'd really advise you to come along and chat to our staff and students and find out more about the course and how it works/what you can get involved in etc :^_^: You can find a link to sign up here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/openday/

I'm also happy to help with any questions you have, please feel free to give me a shout if you need to know anything

Take care,
Caitlin
Amiz61
Rep:
?
Oh that's great! What are the chances we're one of the unis you're considering! :sogood: I'm glad I messaged.

For studying Aero-mechanical/Mechanical Engineering with ourselves we're looking for AAB-BBB, with both Physics and Maths at A Level as necessary subjects. This is for first year entry to our 5 year MEng degree. If you wanted to carry out your degree in a shorter period of time and apply for second year entry, we would need you to have higher grades (A*AA-AAB) I'm not sure if you're aware yet but we have our virtual Open days coming up (28th October and 14th November). I'd really advise you to come along and chat to our staff and students and find out more about the course and how it works/what you can get involved in etc :^_^: You can find a link to sign up here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/openday/

I'm also happy to help with any questions you have, please feel free to give me a shout if you need to know anything

Take care,
Caitlin
Just booked in my open day for the 28th! As for entry into the second year which is something I would definitely like to do after looking into your course, if I were not to meet the requirements, would I be able to fall back on a first year entry instead?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

In recent years Swansea have tended to accept BBB for their courses. Whether they will this year who knows due grade inflation this year. As already said contact the universities. If there is no chance they will tell you not to apply.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just booked in my open day for the 28th! As for entry into the second year which is something I would definitely like to do after looking into your course, if I were not to meet the requirements, would I be able to fall back on a first year entry instead?
Amiz61 Yes, you should only use one choice on your UCAS form. If you choose to go for second year entry and miss the conditions the department set you, often they will consider you for first year entry as long as your grades are strong enough and you have the required subjects This is something that will be good to double check when you chat with our staff at the Open Day, but generally this is the case.

Hope that helps, best of luck! We'll "see" you on the 28th :thumbsup:

- Caitlin
Amiz61
Rep:
?
Amiz61 Yes, you should only use one choice on your UCAS form. If you choose to go for second year entry and miss the conditions the department set you, often they will consider you for first year entry as long as your grades are strong enough and you have the required subjects This is something that will be good to double check when you chat with our staff at the Open Day, but generally this is the case.

Hope that helps, best of luck! We'll "see" you on the 28th :thumbsup:

- Caitlin
Awesome! I'll make sure to double check that then on the open day.

Thank you Caitlin, you've helped me a lot!
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
In recent years Swansea have tended to accept BBB for their courses. Whether they will this year who knows due grade inflation this year. As already said contact the universities. If there is no chance they will tell you not to apply.
Ah ok, I put Swansea as a safe choice in the event that I don't do any better next summer, ill make sure to contact them and see if they'd be happy to take me with the grades I have as of now.
Swansea University Enquiries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah ok, I put Swansea as a safe choice in the event that I don't do any better next summer, ill make sure to contact them and see if they'd be happy to take me with the grades I have as of now.
Hey Amiz61 :hello:

For Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering our offers are typically in the range of ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics).

Without seeing a full application its difficult to say if you would be made an offer, but I would certainly encourage you to apply as we consider each application in its entirety, and in some cases we may be able to offer some flexibility regarding academic requirements - we assess each application on its own merit including the personal statement, any relevant work experience and references!

We have a Virtual Open Day coming up on November 7th which may interest you, or in the meantime you can chat with our current Engineering students using our Ambassador Chat. If you have any questions about the course content, teaching or student experience then they're the experts!

If you do have any questions then let me know, or you can get in touch with me and my colleagues using our admissions live chat.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your applications!

- Mia, Enquiries Assistant
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hey Amiz61 :hello:

For Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering our offers are typically in the range of ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics).

Without seeing a full application its difficult to say if you would be made an offer, but I would certainly encourage you to apply as we consider each application in its entirety, and in some cases we may be able to offer some flexibility regarding academic requirements - we assess each application on its own merit including the personal statement, any relevant work experience and references!

We have a Virtual Open Day coming up on November 7th which may interest you, or in the meantime you can chat with our current Engineering students using our Ambassador Chat. If you have any questions about the course content, teaching or student experience then they're the experts!

If you do have any questions then let me know, or you can get in touch with me and my colleagues using our admissions live chat.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your applications!

- Mia, Enquiries Assistant
Thank you for the reply, ill definitely be sending an application for your course and have signed up for the open day
Swansea University Enquiries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply, ill definitely be sending an application for your course and have signed up for the open day
We will 'see' you on November 7th then

Take care and stay safe!

- Mia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (61)
27.73%
No - I have already returned home (25)
11.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
22.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.55%
No - I live at home during term anyway (63)
28.64%

Watched Threads