iyredism
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Every website I see online is always suggesting some London unis for film that are supposedly "globally recognised", however on the guardians list of best unis for film production courses, none of these even appear in the first 30. Do I follow the advice of websites or the guardian ranking?

Thank You for any replies!
Advertisement
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was looking at film universities, I phoned a few that were next to large centres of media production, as the degree is important; where - not so much - but any internship or student placing is critical. Several of the Leeds uni’s/colleges claimed to have special terms with the YTV studios and now Channel 4, London Obviously has an industry, perhaps Salford if they do experience?

There are websites/discussions on top media locations in uk, I read them 2 yrs ago
...but...Guardian - nope, only read/trust it for the belltoons, the rest of the content seems dire
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iyredism)
Every website I see online is always suggesting some London unis for film that are supposedly "globally recognised", however on the guardians list of best unis for film production courses, none of these even appear in the first 30. Do I follow the advice of websites or the guardian ranking?

Rather than websites and rankings https://www.cilect.org/profiles/memb...4#.X5BUj2hKhhE <= this is an international film school accreditation

There's a lot of london "film schools" that are private companies charging a fortune to international students for BTEC courses...most of the london based CILECT members focus on postgraduate degrees and short courses (because they're more profitable) apart from Westminster (and recently LCC at UAL got accredited too)
iyredism
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Rather than websites and rankings https://www.cilect.org/profiles/memb...4#.X5BUj2hKhhE <= this is an international film school accreditation

There's a lot of london "film schools" that are private companies charging a fortune to international students for BTEC courses...most of the london based CILECT members focus on postgraduate degrees and short courses (because they're more profitable) apart from Westminster (and recently LCC at UAL got accredited too)
this is brilliant, thank you so much! sorry to pester, but as someone looking for an undergraduate degree, are there any unis on this list you consider to be oustanding? no worries if not!
iyredism
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
When I was looking at film universities, I phoned a few that were next to large centres of media production, as the degree is important; where - not so much - but any internship or student placing is critical. Several of the Leeds uni’s/colleges claimed to have special terms with the YTV studios and now Channel 4, London Obviously has an industry, perhaps Salford if they do experience?

There are websites/discussions on top media locations in uk, I read them 2 yrs ago
...but...Guardian - nope, only read/trust it for the belltoons, the rest of the content seems dire
awesome, thank you so much for the help
Advertisement
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is brilliant, thank you so much! sorry to pester, but as someone looking for an undergraduate degree, are there any unis on this list you consider to be oustanding? no worries if not!
All the film schools on that list are worth looking at (many don't offer undergraduate courses though). The best thing is to find the course and university where you'll be happiest and most able to thrive and take advantage of the opportunities available to you (both within and outside the course) to build your showreel and experience.
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Depends on what type of film you are interested in really. Some course are a lot more practical where others are a mix of quite academic plus some practical. Have you looked at The Complete University Guide under Communications and Media tables? Might help with ideas of which unis to research.
Advertisement
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student424)
Depends on what type of film you are interested in really. Some course are a lot more practical where others are a mix of quite academic plus some practical. Have you looked at The Complete University Guide under Communications and Media tables? Might help with ideas of which unis to research.
The comms and media table is mostly theory based courses, journalism and broad media courses. Specific film courses are listed under the Dance, drama and cinematics table (but alongside a lot of drama and theatre studies courses)
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi @iyredism,

London College of Communication which is part of UAL (University of the Arts London) offers 3 different film BA qualifications:

Film and Television
Film and Screen Studies
Film Practice

Let me know if any of these are of particular interest to you and if you have any questions regarding them?

Kindest,

Tegan
UAL Student Rep
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (29)
32.58%
No - I have already returned home (9)
10.11%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (21)
23.6%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (6)
6.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (24)
26.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise