Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Am currently in the process of writing my Personal Statement for Economics at LSE. I have been told that LSE likes when students tailor their Personal Statements towards their course. On their website for Economics, they ask some questions as prompts at the top:
"What caused the 2008 economic crisis and what was the right policy response? How can we design policies to tackle the widening inequalities observed within and across countries, or the challenge of climate change? Why does a gender pay gap persist? Why, as economies grow richer, are people often not any happier?"
I realised that coincidentally, I had covered one of these questions in my Personal Statement. Did not answer it per se, but expressed interest in that particular field. Do you reckon that counts as making my PS specific to their course?
- AJ x
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is what they're looking for in a PS:
Personal characteristics, skills and attributes
For this programme, we are looking for students who demonstrate the following skills:

- an ability to apply logic
- quantitative aptitude and the ability to follow complex lines of mathematical reasoning
- an ability to be creative and flexible in approaching problems
- an ability to think independently
- good communication skills
- intellectual curiosity
- motivation and capacity for hard work

Personal statement
In addition to demonstrating the above personal characteristics, skills and attributes, your statement should be original, interesting and well-written and should outline your enthusiasm and motivation for the programme.

You should explain whether there are any aspects of particular interest to you, how this relates to your current academic studies and what additional reading or relevant experiences you have had which have led you to apply. We are interested to hear your own thoughts or ideas on the topics you have encountered through your exploration of the subject at school or through other activities. Some suggestions for preliminary reading can be found above in the preliminary reading section, but there is no set list of activities we look for; instead we look for students who have made the most of the opportunities available to them to deepen their knowledge and understanding of their intended programme of study.

You can also mention extra-curricular activities such as sport, the arts or volunteering or any work experience you have undertaken. However, the main focus of an undergraduate degree at LSE is the in-depth academic study of a subject and we expect the majority of your personal statement to be spent discussing your academic interests.
They also give a list of some of the preliminary reading that is helpful for their course as well as the modules included in the course and lots of information about the staff and their research on the departmental website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads