Metropolitan universities Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Which metorpolitan universities are good in general: leeds metropolitan, manchester metropolitan, or london metropolitan?
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Which metorpolitan universities are good in general: leeds metropolitan, manchester metropolitan, or london metropolitan?
Erm if you are expecting at least any kind of average a-level results (like at least DDE) then no metorpolitan universities are good!
KingsComp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if you mean rankings wise then this is their order:

1) Manchester Met (64)
2) Leeds Met (70)
3) London Met (90)

These rankings are based on the telegraph rankings which basically is a combination of all the rankings (Times, Sunday Times, FT, Employers, Guardian and some more)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...FSNAGAVCBQ0JVC

Personally I think that most of them are pretty low down in terms of rankings and reputation, so I would try higher if I were you, but apply to 1 or 2 of them for insurance.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think the Metropolitans biggest problems are research, but for teaching they score well. So if you wanted to be somthing like a social worker or a teacher getting you're training from a Metropolitan or ex poly probably won't do you any harm at all.
trev
Rep:
?
In my opinion, MMU is the best metropolitan university out of the ones I listed.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't recommend accepting a place at London Metropolitan. I just applied to them to fill up my 6 choices. I wonder why they never asked if I wanted to look around their Computing department...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
In my opinion, MMU is the best metropolitan university out of the ones I listed.
I agree, London Met has quite an awful repuation and has many teething problems due to it being a result of a merger between many other universities, it has a long way to go including sorting out the current staff union disputes.

Leeds met seems to make very low offers, I think it does have some good departments but the majority of it is not that good. Manchester Met is improving all the time and has some good departments amongst its bad ones too.
trev
Rep:
?
Leeds met is probably the best metropolitan university after manchester met.

MMU seem to have a bit higher offers (around 220 points and above), while Leeds is like from 160 or 200 points and above.

Oveall, metropolitan universities are average.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razzakakbar)
Well if you mean rankings wise then this is their order:

1) Manchester Met (64)
2) Leeds Met (70)
3) London Met (90)

These rankings are based on the telegraph rankings which basically is a combination of all the rankings (Times, Sunday Times, FT, Employers, Guardian and some more)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...FSNAGAVCBQ0JVC

Personally I think that most of them are pretty low down in terms of rankings and reputation, so I would try higher if I were you, but apply to 1 or 2 of them for insurance.
How are you supposed to read that table? Within seconds it goes tiny!
LoopyLass
Report 14 years ago
anyone know what are leeds and manchesters biology departments are like?
london
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
How are you supposed to read that table? Within seconds it goes tiny!
take your mouse and go over to the word university.... just mov eit aroudn that area . you get a little bar with buttons.. and then go down to the bottom and expand it...
SinghFello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does Nottingham Trent Count as a met? Because they are around 35-40 on the league tables.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SinghFello)
Does Nottingham Trent Count at a met? Because that around 35-40 on the league tables.
Does the name have the word "Metopolitan" in it? I think not. It is a former polytechnical college (like the 3 mets above) but no, it is not a met.

EDIT: If you HAD joined the High School, you would have been a year my junior.
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whats the difference between a former Metropolitan and Polytechnic college?
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My guess would be that it would have to be in a fairly big city to be called a Met. (It is JUST a NAME thing.)
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
EDIT: If you HAD joined the High School, you would have been a year my junior.
Are you in Nottingham High School sixth form?
Is the sixth form any good? I know someone called amrit that is in the lower sixth...
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you in Nottingham High School sixth form?
Is the sixth form any good? I know someone called amrit that is in the lower sixth...
I was there for my sixth form. It was pretty damn good! The teaching is topnotch, as are the facilities. I finished there last year and am on my gap year now. I know a few people in the lower sixth, but not Amrit.
trev
Rep:
?
Metropolitan uni's are actually polytechnics a long time ago, but now they are ex-polytechnics.
Carrit
Report 14 years ago
ok call me stupid but what exactly is a polytechnic?
trev
Rep:
?
Don't want to explain it as I don't feel like it. :p: Check this website out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads