How to feel better after getting a bad grade

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got my maths test back and I am really upset with my score. I even started crying in Physics cuz I was that disappointed (everyone was super nice im so grateful to have such amazing friends in my life). I worked quite hard for the test but I didn't get the grade that I wanted.i also do furthermaths which is why I was so upset, I wanted to ace normal maths..

If you're wondering i got like 35/50, which may not seem to be that bad but for ME personally it was quite a shock as I walked out of the test feeling like I got 45+/50. People in my furthermaths class got like 50/50 and I also got slightly below the furthermaths class average.
Out teacher is absolute **** I acc hate her sooo much. She doesn't even teach anything m and she's so mean she read out the lowest score in our class!!!! Like Imagine how bad that person must be feeling right now😭 I also feel like she marked my paper purposefully really harshly...

I just feel so upset with my score😭😞 and now I don't feel very motivated :/ I sort of want to blame my grade on teacher but I feel like if other people in my class can get a high score with her teaching then surely I should as well.

Idrk what this post is, but yeah. If u reading this and feel like u've just failed a test, Ur not alone. I'm upset cuz I worked quite hard for it, and feel like I should have done better . Thanks for readingxx
StopRightThere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
I got my maths test back and I am really upset with my score. I even started crying in Physics cuz I was that disappointed (everyone was super nice im so grateful to have such amazing friends in my life). I worked quite hard for the test but I didn't get the grade that I wanted.i also do furthermaths which is why I was so upset, I wanted to ace normal maths..

If you're wondering i got like 35/50, which may not seem to be that bad but for ME personally it was quite a shock as I walked out of the test feeling like I got 45+/50. People in my furthermaths class got like 50/50 and I also got slightly below the furthermaths class average.
Out teacher is absolute **** I acc hate her sooo much. She doesn't even teach anything m and she's so mean she read out the lowest score in our class!!!! Like Imagine how bad that person must be feeling right now😭 I also feel like she marked my paper purposefully really harshly...

I just feel so upset with my score😭😞 and now I don't feel very motivated :/ I sort of want to blame my grade on teacher but I feel like if other people in my class can get a high score with her teaching then surely I should as well.

Idrk what this post is, but yeah. If u reading this and feel like u've just failed a test, Ur not alone. I'm upset cuz I worked quite hard for it, and feel like I should have done better . Thanks for readingxx
Aw. I'm so sorry this happened. That teacher should not be shaming her students like that. What do you mean when you say she doesn't teach anything? Does she go too slow/fast or does she not go into details about her subject?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The first thing to do is to stop feeling like you “shouldn’t” be upset. Your feelings are valid no matter what mark you got.
Allow yourself to be upset and annoyed, and then Let yourself move on to how you can do better.
Look through your test and see where you went wrong-did you not read the questions, did you not understand the topic etc. And if you feel it was marked unfairly-don’t be afraid to go back to your teacher to get better feedback on why she gave you the marks she did.
Just because other people learn from the teacher well doesn’t automatically mean that she’s a good teacher-it could be that her teaching method works better for some than for others.
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by StopRightThere)
Aw. I'm so sorry this happened. That teacher should not be shaming her students like that. What do you mean when you say she doesn't teach anything? Does she go too slow/fast or does she not go into details about her subject?
Thanksss🙂🙂
She just read the textbook...like we all dislike her a lot cuz she can never answer the questions we have, she directs us to another teacher. She literally reads the textbook out line by line.
Like I literally didn't even know that you could use Ur calcs for graphs unitl all my friends from other classes showed me...she basically didn't teach us anything apart from the discrimant... soemthing is basically already knew xxx
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
The first thing to do is to stop feeling like you “shouldn’t” be upset. Your feelings are valid no matter what mark you got.
Allow yourself to be upset and annoyed, and then Let yourself move on to how you can do better.
Look through your test and see where you went wrong-did you not read the questions, did you not understand the topic etc. And if you feel it was marked unfairly-don’t be afraid to go back to your teacher to get better feedback on why she gave you the marks she did.
Just because other people learn from the teacher well doesn’t automatically mean that she’s a good teacher-it could be that her teaching method works better for some than for others.
Tysm xxx
Yeah I'm gonna take Ur advice and look through it properly and figure out what exactly went wrong...
username5414076
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See, what I do to avoid disappointment in school or anything in life is to set the bar or standard really low. That way I never get disappointed or sad c:

Spoiler:
Show
I'm perfectly fine with living an average life
Spoiler:
Show
some serious advice tho lol, just remember that life moves on there will always be another opportunity, learn from you're mistakes and ace the next test!

Mustafa2021
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it’s any consolation I am a student year 11 who has never got below an 8 in anything however recently I did a maths test on which I got significantly lower than anyone. When I first got this result I was angry and sad. But it’s important to realise that sometimes doing bad is good. In a way it’s life. You seem intelligent I’m sure you will do better in the next exam.
Last edited by Mustafa2021; 1 month ago
username5414076
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

ok now that I have actually read this, you're teacher sucks and those are good grades. You don't have to compare yourself to other students, if you're doing good for you be proud of yourself.
StopRightThere
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanksss🙂🙂
She just read the textbook...like we all dislike her a lot cuz she can never answer the questions we have, she directs us to another teacher. She literally reads the textbook out line by line.
Like I literally didn't even know that you could use Ur calcs for graphs unitl all my friends from other classes showed me...she basically didn't teach us anything apart from the discrimant... soemthing is basically already knew xxx
It honestly sounds like she knows nothing about her subject.
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by PewNews)
See, what I do to avoid disappointment in school or anything in life is to set the bar or standard really low. That way I never get disappointed or sad c:

Spoiler:
Show
I'm perfectly fine with living an average life
Spoiler:
Show
some serious advice tho lol, just remember that life moves on there will always be another opportunity, learn from you're mistakes and ace the next test!

(Original post by Mustafa2021)
If it’s any consolation I am a student year 11 who has never got below an 8 in anything however recently I did a maths test on which I got significantly lower than anyone. When I first got this result I was angry and sad. But it’s important to realise that sometimes doing bad is good. In a way it’s life. You seem intelligent I’m sure you will do better in the next exam.
(Original post by PewNews)
ok now that I have actually read this, you're teacher sucks and those are good grades. You don't have to compare yourself to other students, if you're doing good for you be proud of yourself.
Thank you very much♥️♥️
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by StopRightThere)
It honestly sounds like she knows nothing about her subject.
Yeahhh ):
Jordyncapers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

true i got a d in math
StopRightThere
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeahhh ):
Have you tried talking to someone about her?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bad scores happen - failure means different things to different people etc. Definitely easier to cling onto bad grades than good ones.

Really, you'll have forgotten about it in a week or tow. In the grand scheme of things it's not a bad score and will be ultimately inconsequential.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Always_Confused
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First thing first. Have a maths free evening. Don't think about the test. Do something non-college related you enjoy and work on feeling better in yourself.
Do you have a copy of your test paper? When you're feeling up to it, go through the paper and identify why you went wrong. Did you use the wrong equation? Did you divide something incorrectly? Did you not read the question properly? Either way, find out what went wrong and fix it. Correct where you went wrong. Identify any areas for improvement and focus your revision on that.
Do not compare yourself to other people. They might have had more free time to revise than you. They might have a private tutor you don't know about. There's any number of reasons you didn't do as well as others, it often has nothing to do with mathematical ability. Other factors effect performance. If you don't know how those factors effect everyone else, then there's no point comparing yourself with them.
Lastly, your teacher is only a percentage of the over all learning process. They introduce the material. They can guide, help and support you. They cannot make you learn. Your grade is not their fault. Maybe they have taught in a way that isn't compatible with you, but teachers have to use a one-size-fits-most approach. If their teaching style doesnt work for you, ask them to explain things differently. Do additional work. Seek help from multiple sources. It might feel like you put all your effort into this test, but often, people don't know how they actually learn. The issue could be with your revision style.
Use this test score to form the basis for improving how and what you revise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed