Cookies709
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys can anyone help with how I should prepare for my mocks in a months time as I never took my year 10 ones due to locksdown
A.Peters0797
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cookies709)
Hi guys can anyone help with how I should prepare for my mocks in a months time as I never took my year 10 ones due to locksdown
Hi,

I would suggest spending most of the time working on subjects you find the most difficult and find previous test papers write an answer to each of these. I think they come with the mark scheme so you are able to mark it yourself, or maybe see if you can find a teacher who is able to help if it is an essay based subject (hey, I am an English graduate so I'd happily help you with your English prep if this is something you struggle with!). Once you have completed these test papers, for essay based questions find the topic/theme of the question and change them up. For instance write about a different character and how they are portrayed in certain scenes etc.

Hope this helps!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Buy flashcards.
Cookies709
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Buy flashcards.
which ones? The pre made
Cookies709
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.Peters0797)
Hi,

I would suggest spending most of the time working on subjects you find the most difficult and find previous test papers write an answer to each of these. I think they come with the mark scheme so you are able to mark it yourself, or maybe see if you can find a teacher who is able to help if it is an essay based subject (hey, I am an English graduate so I'd happily help you with your English prep if this is something you struggle with!). Once you have completed these test papers, for essay based questions find the topic/theme of the question and change them up. For instance write about a different character and how they are portrayed in certain scenes etc.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for writing this up, I was wondering how you write the best essay for literature
irismont
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by A.Peters0797)
Hi,

Hope this helps!
Hiya, I’ve got my Macbeth GCSE mock in just over a week. Any advice on how to revise? Like i really don’t know where to start!

This is what I’ve done so far:
An A3 page with 4 columns (quotes analysis context etc)
A mind map on the theme of guilt+paranoia

Planning to do:
More mindmaps on themes
Plan essay

Do you have any techniques that works really well for you, and how would you recommend structuring the essay for the given extract whilst also referring to other parts of the text? Thank you so much!!Xxxx
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

I usually make an A3 poster for each module in my subject with all the key points on and making it really colourful and coordinated.
I then try and memorise this poster and copy it from memory, but without all the colour and fancy bits. In a different coloured pen i then add what I had missed from memory.

Or I make plans of potential essay questions, which include all the key facts. Similarly i memorise this and try and copy it from memory. In a different coloured pen i then add what I had missed from memory.

Past papers are a good way of revising, so you are prepared for the style of exam and essays you will have to write. Especially looking at the marking criteria.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
which ones? The pre made
yes
\^_^/
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
make sure you do practice questions
you may know the content but you need to be able to apply it
A.Peters0797
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for writing this up, I was wondering how you write the best essay for literature
No problem
Well I did my GCSEs in 2014 so I'm not sure how much it has changed, however I could find the AQA 2018 paper online and based my advice on this. You will find that if you change the names of the characters and the main theme (in this case 'attitudes towards supernaturals') in the question, and if you do enough variances, you will have eventually come across your essay question by the time your exam approaches.

So the question I've looked at is based on an extract from Act 1 Scene 3:

BANQUO
But ’tis strange,
And oftentimes, to win us to our harm,
The instruments of darkness tell us truths;
Win us with honest trifles, to betray’s
In deepest consequence. –
Cousins, a word, I pray you.

MACBETH [Aside]
Two truths are told,
As happy prologues to the swelling act
Of the imperial theme. – I thank you, gentlemen. –
This supernatural soliciting
Cannot be ill, cannot be good. If ill,
Why hath it given me earnest of success,
Commencing in a truth? I am Thane of Cawdor.
If good, why do I yield to that suggestion,
Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair
And make my seated heart knock at my ribs
Against the use of nature? Present fears
Are less than horrible imaginings.
My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical,
Shakes so my single state of man that function
Is smothered in surmise, and nothing is,
But what is not.

'Starting with this moment in the play, explore how Shakespeare presents the attitudes of Macbeth and Banquo towards the supernatural. Write about:
How Shakespeare presents the attitudes of Macbeth and Banquo towards the Supernatural in this extract
How Shakespeare presents the attitudes of Macbeth and Banquo towards the supernatural in the play as a whole.

To start your essay I would advise you to first give a brief summary of what has happened before this scene, focusing on Macbeth and Banquo as they are the key characters in this particular situation, and introduce what you are going to analyse and how you are going to do this. This just shows the examiner that you understand the question and that they are not going to be wasting their time marking an irrelevant answer

You should then discuss Macbeth and how he presents his attitudes towards the supernatural by picking out maybe 3-5 quotes (reference the line number) out of his speech that consist of some impressive language techniques that show his positive/negative/mixed attitudes towards the supernatural, and explain why you think that this quote suggests which attitude you have selected for each quote. Write about each quote in as much detail as possible, and break the quote down into different parts, as it is possible to find a reason for writing pretty much anything in literature.

Then I would advise talking about Banquo in the same way, however because he has a shorter part to play in this extract you may only be able to pick out a few examples, but don't feel pressured by this as there is still plenty more to write about, especially if you've already analysed Macbeth's attitudes in a detailed manner.

Before summarising, you should discuss the theme of supernaturals and how Banquo and Macbeth have spoken about them in the rest of the play following this scene. Do they have a change of heart and have a more positive/negative/neutral attitude towards the supernatural? How does it seem to affect their characterisation later in the play?

Then essentially write a general summary of your findings to finish off the essay. If you need more help with summaries let me know, however don't worry too much as most of your marks will come from the body of the essay.

Just some top tips:

Don't just 'feature spot'. Try to come up with a reason WHY the feature has been used to convey a positive/negative/mixed attitude, because, according to examiners, authors always have a reason for writing in a certain way.

Try to convince the examiner that the point you have made is relevant. The best part of writing about literature is that there is no right or wrong answer, you just have to validate the point to the best of your ability

If you'd like to write an essay based on this question I'd love to have a read through what you come up with! Otherwise you can find the mark-scheme online for ideas
A.Peters0797
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by irismont)
Hiya, I’ve got my Macbeth GCSE mock in just over a week. Any advice on how to revise? Like i really don’t know where to start!

This is what I’ve done so far:
An A3 page with 4 columns (quotes analysis context etc)
A mind map on the theme of guilt+paranoia

Planning to do:
More mindmaps on themes
Plan essay

Do you have any techniques that works really well for you, and how would you recommend structuring the essay for the given extract whilst also referring to other parts of the text? Thank you so much!!Xxxx
Hi! I've written a basic structure below if you'd like to have a go at structuring the essay in this way? Basically my advice is to introduce the theme, talk about what has happened before and shortly after the extract and then section the essay based on whatever the question is, so if it's about Banquo and Macbeth, write about them seperately and then maybe compare the two of them if this is required in the question.

It's great that you've done themed mind maps, this is a great start! Maybe you should use some of the extracts/characters you have used on this mind map to create your own essay questions and write in the essay structure I've provided and see how that goes? Like I said in a previous answer, exams tend to have similarly structured questions with themes you have probably already studied, and the exam is simply applying everything that you have already done in class, as well as your mind maps, into an essay in the form of an analysis Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.3%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.36%

Watched Threads