Should I complain about seminar/ tutorial moving too slow?

Watch
Ambercaarson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently a postgrad taught student and we are in week 4 of lectures. Everything is online. For this particular class we are in W4 lectures & we are supposed to be on W3 seminar. Last week the guy taking seminar 2 took too long to address all the questions and he said he would address the remainder this week.

Bare in mind Seminar 2 was quite long but if students attempted the questions beforehand it would have been easier to address the questions they were struggling with. Also, the guy likes to go through each question - sometimes taking longer than necessary in my opinion.

This week (seminar 3) he said "i'll spend 20mins addressing seminar 2" (bare in mind the answers are already uploaded on our uni site). He then spent 41 minutes on 2 questions from seminar 2. I would understand if a student highlighted that they didn't understand where the answer came from, and required an explanation. BUT nobody expressed any issues with these questions.

I asked him 18 minutes before the seminar ended, "Will we be going through Seminar 3". his response "No need to worry. I will cover everything you need to know".

I left the online class because I didn't understand why I had to stay and listen to questions from last week, which we already have answers for and I understand. Now we are going to be doing lectures in Week 5 but seminars in week 3.

Any thoughts?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I am currently a postgrad taught student and we are in week 4 of lectures. Everything is online. For this particular class we are in W4 lectures & we are supposed to be on W3 seminar. Last week the guy taking seminar 2 took too long to address all the questions and he said he would address the remainder this week.

Bare in mind Seminar 2 was quite long but if students attempted the questions beforehand it would have been easier to address the questions they were struggling with. Also, the guy likes to go through each question - sometimes taking longer than necessary in my opinion.

This week (seminar 3) he said "i'll spend 20mins addressing seminar 2" (bare in mind the answers are already uploaded on our uni site). He then spent 41 minutes on 2 questions from seminar 2. I would understand if a student highlighted that they didn't understand where the answer came from, and required an explanation. BUT nobody expressed any issues with these questions.

I asked him 18 minutes before the seminar ended, "Will we be going through Seminar 3". his response "No need to worry. I will cover everything you need to know".

I left the online class because I didn't understand why I had to stay and listen to questions from last week, which we already have answers for and I understand. Now we are going to be doing lectures in Week 5 but seminars in week 3.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi!

I completely understand your frustration.
I would contact you tutor or course leader, as this is evidently a problem. They should be able to talk to him about it. If he says he'll be 20 minutes then remind him when it gets to 20 minutes, so he knows to move in. If it doesn't improve then keep your tutor and course leader informed constantly. You could also always ask to join a different seminar group.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeo this annoys me when we get out of synch abd I have to re learn stuff for a week 5 seminar that I learned week 3. They probably add in capacity anyway to catch up?
Maybe see where you are by reading week and raise it with module leader if getting further behind.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ambercaarson)

Any thoughts?
If you have a course rep, this is something you can raise with them. While it must be frustrating, he is probably going at the pace he feels is necessary. Highlighting this through the proper channels will hopefully spark a change.

Side note: 'the guy' I presume is a lecturer or a PhD student. If it's the latter, it may be his first time teaching.
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ambercaarson)

Any thoughts?
I can understand how this must be frustrating for you but there are a few reasons it could be happening.

It may be that a student (or group of students) has emailed the tutor directly to ask for more clarification, or to spend longer on a particular section - bear in mind that not everyone feels confident highlighting that they don't understand something in class. Or possibly your tutor is quite new to teaching and feels he has to cover everything in a very detailed way to ensure that you all understand - as a PhD student who is new to teaching myself, I can confirm that the pace of your lectures/seminars is one of the hardest things to get right.

That all said, you are obviously not getting the learning experience you need or want from the course and that is something that your tutor needs to be aware of, especially as you're clearly an engaged and interested student! As a few others have suggested, I would recommend contacting your course rep and asking them to raise this issue with the faculty through the proper channels. Alternatively (or possibly additionally) you could contact the module leader/course leader to raise your concerns. It might also be worth speaking to some of your fellow students to see if this is a common problem (in which case you can go to the course rep or module lead as a group).

When raising your concerns, try to focus on why this is negatively impacting your learning experience rather than pointing to individual things that the tutor is doing or saying. So, for example, you could argue that having lectures and seminars so far out of sync with each other is impacting on your ability to understand the content being discussed in seminars, or to engage with that content. You might also raise a concern that later course content will be rushed, or that you won't have sufficient time to prepare for assessments. And as University of Portsmouth Student Rep has said, if all that fails, you could ask to move to an alternative seminar group if one is available.

Hope that helps

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (305)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads