?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what changes can be made to a pratical to obtain a semi qualitative results
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean you could say you measure the mass of the precipitate formed as well as perform colorimetry
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ilhaan16)
what changes can be made to a pratical to obtain a semi qualitative results
Do you mean for Benedict's test? The test is by its nature semi-quantitative, in that the extent to which it turns red (you may get shades of orange, yellow or green with less sugars present) gives you some indication of amount of sugar. To make it more fully quantitative, you could perform colorimetry with standards of known concentration, then create a formal for converting colorimetry numbers into sugar concentration.
seals2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remember to add HCL then Sodium Hydrogencarbonate to test for the NRS, in order to catalyse the breakdown of the sugar into a RS. Also remember to add excess Benedict's solution and heat it at 80 C for around 20 minutes.

You will form a precipitate, and will see colour changes in the solution as this precipitate forms. The great the mass of ppt and the greater the colour change all the way unto red, the more RS / NRS was present.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (87)
27.8%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.17%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
30.03%

Watched Threads