The Student Room Group

University during a pandemic

It is proving extremely difficult to make friends at Uni during a pandemic. To find people similar to you is something else. With a pandemic going on, clubs and societies are put on hold whilst nightclubs and pubs and bars are barely open, and even if they are, you can’t mingle, you have to stay with your flat. I truly think it’s the hardest year yet. Unless you purposely message someone on a 600 people group chat randomly and weirdly, you can’t meet up with people. 2020 University is exhausting to say the least. Any advice on making friends or finding people similar to me? I feel like I’ve tried the conventional ways like trying to join societies (though they’re not running) or trying to bond with our building but it’s not working at all. Anyone feeling similar ?
Original post by daisyrainbow123
It is proving extremely difficult to make friends at Uni during a pandemic. To find people similar to you is something else. With a pandemic going on, clubs and societies are put on hold whilst nightclubs and pubs and bars are barely open, and even if they are, you can’t mingle, you have to stay with your flat. I truly think it’s the hardest year yet. Unless you purposely message someone on a 600 people group chat randomly and weirdly, you can’t meet up with people. 2020 University is exhausting to say the least. Any advice on making friends or finding people similar to me? I feel like I’ve tried the conventional ways like trying to join societies (though they’re not running) or trying to bond with our building but it’s not working at all. Anyone feeling similar ?

Yes I fully understand how you feel as I am a first-year student at university too. But to be honest I have pretty much been more or less friendless for the past four years so I have got used to it and also starting to appreciate the time that I have to myself to do homework etc...but yes I get you it can be isolating at times sometimes you just feel like you want someone to talk to.
I think if it had been online tuition for the whole year at all universities and accommodation could have been forfeited at no cost, many students would have opted to stay at their parental home and the friendships made at school or elsewhere before university would still be there to an extent and maintained.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending