paddycass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi
i wonder if anyone can help
my son left uni after 3 weeks, and transferred to another uni
ive just been informed that he is liable to pay the first term uni fees to uclan,
and well as his new uni
is that correct
thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paddycass)
hi
i wonder if anyone can help
my son left uni after 3 weeks, and transferred to another uni
ive just been informed that he is liable to pay the first term uni fees to uclan,
and well as his new uni
is that correct
thank you
Hi

Ok the way this works is that when a student accepts a place on a course they also accept the liability to pay for that course.

It is not unusual for a small % of graduates to get homesick and leave.

The way the terms work is that normally unis give you 14-28 days or more to leave without any liability. Each uni decides and it is in their terms and conditions. Your son must have known this when he left?

Thanks for mentioning UCLAN and I have looked at the fee liability and they have such liability going from day 1, so your son is ,liable for the first term.

In that situation I would try 2 things:

1. Have a word with student finance and see if they will intervene as a compromise, giving uclan 3 weeks money and the new uni the rest.
2. To back that up consider contacting CAB consumer helpline and whether you have a basis for a defence if you say the reason he left was because the course was not as described and was in breach of the consumer rights act either in description or on the basis of being an unreasonable service due to CV19. Imo there are bound to be some test cases and unis will not want these.
If you pressure them with such a case, then you may be able to make them feel it isnt worth the bother and accept 3 weeks money or just waive it.
You could also try making a complaint on this basis.

Ideally you would get some intervention by slc as to how to get them to sort out the finance. I would be thinking along those lines.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/
paddycass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hi

Ok the way this works is that when a student accepts a place on a course they also accept the liability to pay for that course.

It is not unusual for a small % of graduates to get homesick and leave.

The way the terms work is that normally unis give you 14-28 days or more to leave without any liability. Each uni decides and it is in their terms and conditions. Your son must have known this when he left?

Thanks for mentioning UCLAN and I have looked at the fee liability and they have such liability going from day 1, so your son is ,liable for the first term.

In that situation I would try 2 things:

1. Have a word with student finance and see if they will intervene as a compromise, giving uclan 3 weeks money and the new uni the rest.
2. To back that up consider contacting CAB consumer helpline and whether you have a basis for a defence if you say the reason he left was because the course was not as described and was in breach of the consumer rights act either in description or on the basis of being an unreasonable service due to CV19. Imo there are bound to be some test cases and unis will not want these.
If you pressure them with such a case, then you may be able to make them feel it isnt worth the bother and accept 3 weeks money or just waive it.
You could also try making a complaint on this basis.

Ideally you would get some intervention by slc as to how to get them to sort out the finance. I would be thinking along those lines.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/
Hi
thank you for your help and advice
its been a nightmare especially on the financial side
we are already liable to pay the full terms rent on accommodation of £4500,
if you know of any advice that could help us on this matter
would be really appreciated
many thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paddycass)
Hi
thank you for your help and advice
its been a nightmare especially on the financial side
we are already liable to pay the full terms rent on accommodation of £4500,
if you know of any advice that could help us on this matter
would be really appreciated
many thanks
1. Unless you find a replacement. This is standard halls of residence terms.
2. Your best bet is to hope CV19 gets worse and the government intervenes or the uni allows an early exit. You mean the full years rent?
3.. Nobody has tested unis yet about the change in service deliver i.e not being what they signed up for. If a student ever won such a case, then it would open the floodgates of the tens or hundreds of thousands of others who also want to exit. As it is they will not budge.
4. Your son may have been better leaving for medical reasons.
5. He may have been better staying or at least remaining a student for a year so the student loans paid for it and then restarting fresh the following year.
6. It is unusual for someone to start and then transfer to a different uni in the same academic year. He has kind of reaped the worst of both worlds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (728)
41.62%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed