Owais khan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone! My question is do the Uk university rankings matter a lot in terms of job opportunities within the uk? Do the employers look at which uni have you graduated from? And, are you given any preference if you’ve graduated from a not-so-highly-ranked university?
Last edited by Owais khan; 4 weeks ago
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well if one person told you yes and another told you no - then who would you believe ?
(rankings are just a number next to a name and they can fluctuate)
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For engineering the rankings don't. There are universities which are better, and ones which are worse, but picking those out from the rankings is very difficult if not impossible. Some universities will be better for some areas within engineering compared to others, which further complicates things.
Owais khan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Helloworld_95 are you living in the uk? If yes, could you pls suggest a few universities which are not just good in Msc mechanical engineering, but also reputed among the employers? Thanks in advance🤗
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Make sure when making your decision you actually think about the course content as well as the location - you'll be living in the city for several years after all. Consider what links the university has with industry. Sometimes the university will state this on their prospectus pages but other times you'll need to do some research.

Also make sure the degree is accredited. For mechanical engineering that accreditation is usually IMechE.

Also consider joining societies and industry internships whilst at university if possible. This will help later on when applying for jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads