cherry7girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i feel like im going insane;
i've watched three videos each explaining the p value and when to reject the null hypothesis and each time they've said something different. i thought that if the calculated value was more than 0.05 then the null hypothesis is accepted? is this not correct? can someone explain it all to me as im so confused. what does the 0.05 value even mean
Ro-Z.707
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by onedance1)
i feel like im going insane;
i've watched three videos each explaining the p value and when to reject the null hypothesis and each time they've said something different. i thought that if the calculated value was more than 0.05 then the null hypothesis is accepted? is this not correct? can someone explain it all to me as im so confused. what does the 0.05 value even mean
The 0.05 value means that there is a 5% probability that the results are due to chance. The higher the probability that the results are due to chance e.g. 0.07, the less significant the results actually are.
The null hypothesis pretty much says that the results are due to chance.
Therefore, if you produce a value less than 0.05 (5%) then the null hypothesis is rejected because there is a less than 5% probability that the results are due to chance so the results are significant.
If you produce a value more than 0.05 (5%) then the null hypothesis is accepted because there is a more than 5% probability that the results are due to chance so the results arent significant.

I hope this helps your confusion.
cherry7girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ro-Z.707)
The 0.05 value means that there is a 5% probability that the results are due to chance. The higher the probability that the results are due to chance e.g. 0.07, the less significant the results actually are.
The null hypothesis pretty much says that the results are due to chance.
Therefore, if you produce a value less than 0.05 (5%) then the null hypothesis is rejected because there is a less than 5% probability that the results are due to chance so the results are significant.
If you produce a value more than 0.05 (5%) then the null hypothesis is accepted because there is a more than 5% probability that the results are due to chance so the results arent significant.

I hope this helps your confusion.
thank u i could marry u
Ro-Z.707
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by onedance1)
thank u i could marry u
Haha you're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (119)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (123)
29.29%

Watched Threads