Steven672k
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys , I have been offered by my company to become an “ electrical control and instrumentation “ technician rather than going down the normal mechanical route .
Some advantages of this are better pay from the company and less “ work “ .

I am not sure what to choose mechanical or the EC and I .
When I thought I was definitely going to do mechanical I looked at future career paths and saw things for example working on the railways at TFL or even moving onto the aeroplane manufacturing industry or anything like that.

What are my future career opportunities if I take the EC and I route ? Would I still be able to work on railways or in the aeroplane sector for example ??

Anyone who has any experience with this please advise me on what you think is better for me to do .

Thanks
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Steven672k)
Hi guys , I have been offered by my company to become an “ electrical control and instrumentation “ technician rather than going down the normal mechanical route .
Some advantages of this are better pay from the company and less “ work “ .

I am not sure what to choose mechanical or the EC and I .
When I thought I was definitely going to do mechanical I looked at future career paths and saw things for example working on the railways at TFL or even moving onto the aeroplane manufacturing industry or anything like that.

What are my future career opportunities if I take the EC and I route ? Would I still be able to work on railways or in the aeroplane sector for example ??

Anyone who has any experience with this please advise me on what you think is better for me to do .

Thanks
Personally, I think a key question here is which one will you enjoy most?

The aerospace and rail sectors are massive, so I don't see any reason why either course would be a barrier to entering either industry. Do you have a specific role in mind in either of those sectors, as that could be a deciding factor?
Steven672k
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Personally, I think a key question here is which one will you enjoy most?

The aerospace and rail sectors are massive, so I don't see any reason why either course would be a barrier to entering either industry. Do you have a specific role in mind in either of those sectors, as that could be a deciding factor?
well personally, I don’t really have a preference . Both are really appealing to me and both do overlap and are similar .
However due to what I have read and heard I am slowly leaning towards doing the electrical EC&I route.

For the sectors I don’t really have a specific role in mind - anything maintenance based I would be able to go into as that is what I am currently based in .

Do you know of any / can give me some ideas on careers I could go into in the future by following the EC&I route and how hard it will be to get into them ? ( preferably in the sectors I mentioned , but I am open to other ideas aswell ) .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads