SimonC1986
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good evening all,

I was wondering if I could seek opinions on a path to a PhD in Law. My background is:
- LLB(Hons) degree 2-2 grade
- PGDip in International Law
- 10 years employment in a (partially) relevant field
- Currently studying towards a taught MA (with a significant research component)

The sticking point is obviously my 2-2 degree (I wish I could go back and kick my younger self but it is as it is!). My plan at present is:
- Complete my current Masters course (MA)
- Try and obtain entry into a Law PhD programme (self funded).

Does this sound at all viable? I have sounded out a few Universities on the LLM entry and think that is achievable with what I have got. But it really is question of whether this path will make me a 'credible candidate' for a PhD?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SimonC1986)
Good evening all,

I was wondering if I could seek opinions on a path to a PhD in Law. My background is:
- LLB(Hons) degree 2-2 grade
- PGDip in International Law
- 10 years employment in a (partially) relevant field
- Currently studying towards a taught MA (with a significant research component)

The sticking point is obviously my 2-2 degree (I wish I could go back and kick my younger self but it is as it is!). My plan at present is:
- Complete my current Masters course (MA)
- Try and obtain entry into a Law PhD programme (self funded).

Does this sound at all viable? I have sounded out a few Universities on the LLM entry and think that is achievable with what I have got. But it really is question of whether this path will make me a 'credible candidate' for a PhD?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Depends what your research proposal is. If it's nothing to do with what you've been studying and neither is it supported by your professional experience, they you will struggle. If you've got an epic research proposal, that's totally on point, that some Supervisor is very supportive of, and that fits well with your work and academic study, you are a candidate for a funded PhD.
SimonC1986
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Depends what your research proposal is. If it's nothing to do with what you've been studying and neither is it supported by your professional experience, they you will struggle. If you've got an epic research proposal, that's totally on point, that some Supervisor is very supportive of, and that fits well with your work and academic study, you are a candidate for a funded PhD.
Good evening,

Thank you for the reply.

My planned area of research is directly linked with the work experience I have had and my LLM will focus on the relevant area of law to underpin my preparations. My MA also has some overlap in the general field I am focusing on.
Last edited by SimonC1986; 1 month ago
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Assuming that you get at least a merit in your MA, and it's related to your research, you should have no problem in finding a PhD place at most unis, being self funded. Even with just a pass in your MA, you should be able to find offers at the less established institutions.

Good luck in your quest for the floppy hat!
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Probably best not to generate false hope. With a 2:2, it's next to impossible to get a funded PhD offer. Even with a very high distinction in the MA, the 2:2 at undergraduate level will most likely make any application for funded places difficult.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chaotic1328)
Probably best not to generate false hope. With a 2:2, it's next to impossible to get a funded PhD offer. Even with a very high distinction in the MA, the 2:2 at undergraduate level will most likely make any application for funded places difficult.
Not in the case of someone with 10 years relevant professional experience between undergrad and postgrad though. It's true that for people that go more or less straight through school> undergrad > masters > PhD with no substantial breaks, then your trajectory not only needs to be upwards, it also needs to be high throughout to be competitive for funding. However, once someone has spent substantial years in a relevant profession, they bring an entirely different set of proven qualities which make them a stronger bet, regardless of old grades. As I suggested, if everything aligns, most specifically a strong, on point proposal and a Supervisor that wants to support it, funding becomes more possible, especially philanthropic funding, which law can generate.
SimonC1986
Rep:
?
Good morning all,

Thank you for the replies, they have been very helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (632)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (794)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads