Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M639 – British Embassy in Israel Motion, Joep95 MP

This house believes that the British Embassy to the state of Israel should be moved to Israeli administered West Jerusalem.

This house also recognises the claim of the state of Palestine to the territory of East Jerusalem, however, this house believes that West Jerusalem is the rightful capital of Israel, and therefore is the rightful location of the British embassy.

Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And once again a government MP presses a motion.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising given the foreign Secretary makes the Chancellor look active and engaged with the house.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye! Why is this not being done internally to present a government approach?
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And once again a government MP presses a motion.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising given the foreign Secretary makes the Chancellor look active and engaged with the house.
Not unusual Jacob Rees-Mogg is a government mp and has submitted motions this term
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m opposed unless and until peace talks make substantial progress. I wouldn’t mind doing this as part of an eventual peace deal however.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Aye! Why is this not being done internally to present a government approach?
I can only speculate over the author's reasons. But I can say that where I have submitted bills or motions since resigning from the cabinet it's because it's a.) unconnected to any manifesto pledges and b.) too time consuming/hassle-heavy to process it through government approval when actual it doesn't need to be.

A cabinet member brings a slightly different context, and certainly a cabinet member would look foolish to act independently on a topic within their Ministerial brief. But it's perfectly reasonable for backbench government MPs to submit work to the house directly.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, as a Zionist I recognise the claim of the State of Israel to the city of Jerusalem and as such will vote in favour of this motion.

:israel:
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not really sure we should be going around recognising either country's claim to any land.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
Mr Speaker, as a Zionist I recognise the claim of the State of Israel to the city of Jerusalem and as such will vote in favour of this motion.

:israel:
:pal:
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At present, I'm not sure if this is necessary.
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
:pal:
:sigh:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My question to the author:
> What do the British practically gain by moving the embassy?
> Why is that gain worth: a. the cost of moving and b. the potential damage to pre-existing tensions in Jerusalem?
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No this would be damaging to the aim of making peace through a two state solution.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
My question to the author:
> What do the British practically gain by moving the embassy?
> Why is that gain worth: a. the cost of moving and b. the potential damage to pre-existing tensions in Jerusalem?
Israel is a highly developed and advanced nation not just in military technologies, but all technologies in general. This motion also goes with the UN agreement which the UK agreed to when withdrawing from Palestine.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not entirely sure about this, as I don't believe we should recognize East Jerusalem as a part of Palestine.

I support the two-state solution as do much of the international community as well as the State of Israel itself. However, whilst there are capital cities that are also border towns (eg Vientiene, Asunción, Bratislava, Brazzaville, Kinshasa), Israel's situation is clearly different with the historical conflicts between it and its neighbouring Arab nations, making it necessary for them to claim East Jerusalem, where they currently administrate anyway, for basic defence purposes, not just for West Jerusalem but also for Tel-Aviv and the rest of the country.

Furthermore, Israel has shown its willingness to cooperate with the international community, most notably the King of Jordan, with regards to the administration of the Old City of Jerusalem.

As such, I believe recognizing East Jerusalem to be a part of Palestine is impractical, unreasonable, and clearly just a flat-out lie.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Israel is a highly developed and advanced nation not just in military technologies, but all technologies in general. This motion also goes with the UN agreement which the UK agreed to when withdrawing from Palestine.
Thank you for this information, if you would like to answer any of the questions you were quoting feel free. The details you've provided (I already knew those) don't actual answer them.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for this information, if you would like to answer any of the questions you were quoting feel free. The details you've provided (I already knew those) don't actual answer them.
Having a good relationship with a highly developed and advanced nation is the benefit.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
Having a good relationship with a highly developed and advanced nation is the benefit.
Are you suggesting that we don't currently have that with Israel and that the sole cause of this is the location of our embassy?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hard no from me, this flies in the face of stated British policy to the Israel/Palestine issue and is of no practical benefit to our state.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you suggesting that we don't currently have that with Israel and that the sole cause of this is the location of our embassy?
There can always be a better relationship. And having a motion passed - although I'm not sure about this one - is itself a possible leverage (the government doesn't necessarily have to do it) that is not too drastic. Note my motion regarding Taiwan and my lack of action regarding it this term.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (103)
28.69%
No - I have already returned home (46)
12.81%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (69)
19.22%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.31%
No - I live at home during term anyway (104)
28.97%

Watched Threads