This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A243 – Item Procedure Amendment
Proposer: LPK MP (Labour Party)
Seconded by: Saracen's Fez (Liberal Democrat), Theloniouss (Citizen's Party), 04MR17 (Citizen's Party), Iñigo de Loyola (Conservative Party)

That the guidance document be amended as follows:

In the 'Item Procedure' section, insert the following amendment:

11) If the proposer of an item has been temporarily or permanently banned from the community and/or MHoC, or they have deleted their account, any of their pending items which have not been designated as a 'joke item' will automatically be sent to division by the speaker.
a) The speaker must send the latest reading of that item to division within its cessation period.
b) If the item has a seconder, that individual will assume responsibility for either withdrawing the item, or sending it to division without further amendment.
b.1) The seconder will be the individual or party listed immediately after the primary author of the item.
b.2) If the seconder is a party, the party leader will assume the responsibility of the seconder.

NotesThis amendment would authorise either the Speaker or a seconder to send a pending item to division when the primary author of that item is no longer able to provide that instruction. The drafting of this amendment was inspired by B1612 (School Uniform Governance Bill 2020) which received support across parties at second reading but had to be withdrawn. By passing this amendment, we would provide a mechanism for any pending items to achieve a resolution by member's of this House, and avoid items being lost because of factors which occur beyond the game itself. The amendment contains strict parameters on what the Speaker or seconder may do with items, thus ensuring that it cannot be altered beyond the intent of the primary author at the time of their participation in the game. Whilst it is hoped that this amendment would be rarely used, it is nevertheless an important option to have if and when such scenarios do arise, however infrequently they may be.

Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, of course
Bailey14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Apologies for the delay getting this submitted to the House. I had intended to get it sent shortly after A242 passed, but the last few weeks have been hectic at work so it completely slipped my mind until earlier today. >.<

Unsurprisingly, tis an aye from me.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye! Some of the drama afterwards would have been avoided had this existed
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had totally forgotten about this :laugh:

Aye
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, House procedure should generally operate in favour of facilitating debate and enabling votes on items.
ibotu020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd forgotten I'd agreed to second this but I certainly support it!
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
no. i can’t see a reason for continuing a bill if the author is no longer a part of the party. this wouldn’t happen in real life and we are supposedly the ‘Model House of Commons’.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, i have decided to oppose this motion on the basis that the status-quo provides a perfectly acceptable disincentive to associate with members likely to get themselves banned and in that sense also provides an incentive to modify their own behavior.

In essence, this tries to fix a problem which i don't really consider to exist.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Division,clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (93)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.37%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.84%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
29.79%

Watched Threads