The Student Room Group

Best Reputation?

So, I've sent my UCAS application off last week and have so far recieved a conditional offer from Winchester.

Here are my choices:
History - University of Exeter
History - University of Sussex
Modern History - University of Chichester
Modern History - University of Winchester
Critical History - University of Brighton

Out of those 5 Universities, which has the best reputation amongst employers and the general public. Quite frankly, most adults don't know the specifics of league tables but have heard of good/bad reputations of Unis.

For some context, my dream job is to be a Civil Servant in Parliament or Whitehall and my predicted grades are A*AB and I also do an EPQ where my teacher has predicted me an A/A* based on my work so far ( I aim to finish at Christmas)

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by thatcollegegirl
So, I've sent my UCAS application off last week and have so far recieved a conditional offer from Winchester.

Here are my choices:

Out of those 5 Universities, which has the best reputation amongst employers and the general public. Quite frankly, most adults don't know the specifics of league tables but have heard of good/bad reputations of Unis.

For some context, my dream job is to be a Civil Servant in Parliament or Whitehall and my predicted grades are A*AB and I also do an EPQ where my teacher has predicted me an A/A* based on my work so far ( I aim to finish at Christmas)

Thanks!

Exeter

Here are my choices:

Thanks!

Exeter... but tbh reputation doesn't matter to employers (despite me basing my uni choice on that) - i have been in the workplace for 2 years now so can confirm! They care primarily about work experience, humble summer/weekend jobs are perfect.

Winchester is 'boring' to some people but to me it's an utterly beautiful place to spend three years!
Original post by AHKS
Exeter

What about the rest? Do they fully pail in comparison?

Exeter then Sussex but reputation doesnt matter. It is where you will be most comfortable.
Reply 5

Don't make reputation the main reason you choose a uni. Pick a course with modules that interest you in a location you will be happy, then you are much more likely to do well. A 3rd from Exeter is much less useful than a 1st from anywhere else!
Reply 6
well so far I'll say go for critical history cause I know someone that went through the university well that's my point of view so far
Original post by Tonner
well so far I'll say go for critical history cause I know someone that went through the university well that's my point of view so far

Thanks! It interested me as a backup because it seemed very open ended and personal to you. The ones I'm in love with right now are Sussex and Chichester.
Original post by AHKS
Don't make reputation the main reason you choose a uni. Pick a course with modules that interest you in a location you will be happy, then you are much more likely to do well. A 3rd from Exeter is much less useful than a 1st from anywhere else!

Why compare a 3rd from Exeter to a 1st from anywhere else though, unless you are implying that it is harder to get a 1st from Exeter than OPs other choices?

Using a more realistic example,will all employers view a 2.1 from Winchester as highly as a 2.1 from Exeter? The answer is some will and some won’t - up to OP if they want to take the risk.

Exeter has the best overall reputation from that list followed by Sussex. These Unis can attract students with better qualifications which is reflected in the grades they ask for.
Reply 9
Thanks! It interested me as a backup because it seemed very open ended and personal to you. The ones I'm in love with right now are Sussex and Chichester.

but if Chichester is OK and you're confident with it why not go for it? anyway your decision is the best so far

Here are my choices:

Thanks!

Winchester is a nice city:smile:

Here are my choices:

Thanks!

Exeter is in a different league to the rest, then Sussex, then I dont think their is any discernable reputation differences between the other 3.
Reply 12
Original post by harrysbar
Why compare a 3rd from Exeter to a 1st from anywhere else though, unless you are implying that it is harder to get a 1st from Exeter than OPs other choices?

Using a more realistic example,will all employers view a 2.1 from Winchester as highly as a 2.1 from Exeter? The answer is some will and some won’t - up to OP if they want to take the risk.

Exeter has the best overall reputation from that list followed by Sussex. These Unis can attract students with better qualifications which is reflected in the grades they ask for.

My point was that if you are less interested and less happy you are less likely to perform your best - slightly exagarating the point with the grades!
Original post by AHKS
My point was that if you are less interested and less happy you are less likely to perform your best - slightly exagarating the point with the grades!

True although no one really knows which uni they would end up being happiest at as so much is down to luck with who you happen to meet etc.

However, if @thatcollegegirl feels like they are in love with Sussex they should probably Firm that uni over Exeter although I woudn't Firm any of the others over Sussex/Exeter

Quick Reply