Emsygirl28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been really struggling to find journalism courses from good unis, which I like the look of, which are accredited. So far I only have 2 :/. Found out City Of London's course wasn't accredited earlier today, which is irritating as I really like the look of that one.So can anybody tell me how important accreditation actually is? I know for some degrees it means a lot, but, for JournalismI've read that your portfolio matters more.And does anyone know if these courses are accredited?-Journalism at Newcastle -Journalism at Kingston -Journalism at LeicesterThanks
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emsygirl28)
I've been really struggling to find journalism courses from good unis, which I like the look of, which are accredited. So far I only have 2 :/. Found out City Of London's course wasn't accredited earlier today, which is irritating as I really like the look of that one.So can anybody tell me how important accreditation actually is? I know for some degrees it means a lot, but, for JournalismI've read that your portfolio matters more.And does anyone know if these courses are accredited?-Journalism at Newcastle -Journalism at Kingston -Journalism at LeicesterThanks
Hey Emsygirl28 I'd be inclined to say that any degree is what you make of it, whether it's a accredited or not. I guess if it's a degree pathway with a specific vocation attached to it which requires continuous professional exams (for example, Accounting) then there would be a big bonus in doing an accredited course as you already have a head start, but I don't believe Journalism would come under that umbrella.

I'd advise you to pick a course you love, one that excites you and you know you'll enjoy studying for 3 years! While you're at uni, build up your portfolio and industry experience, and network at every chance that you get! After you graduate if you want to continue to develop your skills by gaining further qualifications to gain accreditation, you certainly can do and I'm sure your uni's career service will guide you in the right direction

Best of luck!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Emsygirl28
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Emsygirl28 I'd be inclined to say that any degree is what you make of it, whether it's a accredited or not. I guess if it's a degree pathway with a specific vocation attached to it which requires continuous professional exams (for example, Accounting) then there would be a big bonus in doing an accredited course as you already have a head start, but I don't believe Journalism would come under that umbrella.

I'd advise you to pick a course you love, one that excites you and you know you'll enjoy studying for 3 years! While you're at uni, build up your portfolio and industry experience, and network at every chance that you get! After you graduate if you want to continue to develop your skills by gaining further qualifications to gain accreditation, you certainly can do and I'm sure your uni's career service will guide you in the right direction

Best of luck!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads