How to Structure a Presentation at Interview - MHCLG

Watch
Marfyy2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been invited to interview in one week for a role in social housing/affordable housing teams within the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government. There is one role available on each of the two teams. I have a preference towards the social housing team.

For my interview I have been asked to prepare a "5-minute presentation on the biggest challenges facing social housing in the UK". It says somewhere in the description that the presentation is linked to the seeing the bigger picture.

I'm relatively comfortable with the subject matter itself, but I have got this far in life without ever having presented on anything at an interview and I don't really know what I'm doing! 😂

- Should I prepare slides or just talk freely?
- Should I just talk about the issues that exist, or can I go into more detail on say one or two issues, and what the knock-on impacts are?
- Should I be linking it back to the job role or linking back to the seeing the bigger picture criteria?
- Are they expecting me to have conducted some detailed research and have statistic-backed data to refer to, or should it be more theoretical/debated concepts?
- Are they typically assessing my presentation skills or my knowledge of the business area?

Help 😂 any general tips about presenting at interview more than welcome! I'm generally okay at interviews, and I'm generally okay at doing work-based presentations in my current role, but I've never combined the two haha!
Last edited by Marfyy2; 1 month ago
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marfyy2)
- Should I prepare slides or just talk freely?
Slides.

- Should I just talk about the issues that exist, or can I go into more detail on say one or two issues, and what the knock-on impacts are?
Both. Mention briefly all issues. Go into one or two in more detail.

- Should I be linking it back to the job role or linking back to the seeing the bigger picture criteria?
Regarding the knock-on-impacts, yes.

- Are they expecting me to have conducted some detailed research and have statistic-backed data to refer to, or should it be more theoretical/debated concepts?
Use statistics and sources if possible.

- Are they typically assessing my presentation skills or my knowledge of the business area?
Both.

Help 😂 any general tips about presenting at interview more than welcome! I'm generally okay at interviews, and I'm generally okay at doing work-based presentations in my current role, but I've never combined the two haha!
Its exactly the same thing. Present the same way you would at work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads