Running every day as a start to lifestyle change?

Watch
14t
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need to loose weight, but i have this frustrating all of nothing attitude where I plan everything so much then give up. I need to stop this and I feel like exercise is a good place to start and bring in diet more gradually. Is this a good plan: Run/jog for 10 mins 5x a week then each week add 5 minutes, i’ve tried the NHS couch to 5k but it’s not my thing.
Any other advice for exercise/weightloss/ overall lifestyle change would be appreciated loads
oglez92
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's good that you're motivated to try and make a change in your life. How active have you been in the past? It seems like 5 times a week may be a little excessive in the early days. Maybe starting off slowly and less regular would help. It's more about trying to make exercise a part of your lifestyle and changing your thought process and attitude towards it, if that makes sense?
14t
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by oglez92)
That's good that you're motivated to try and make a change in your life. How active have you been in the past? It seems like 5 times a week may be a little excessive in the early days. Maybe starting off slowly and less regular would help. It's more about trying to make exercise a part of your lifestyle and changing your thought process and attitude towards it, if that makes sense?
Okay thankyou! I used to go to the gym up until march when they all closed down & my parents won’t let me re-join due to covid. But thanks I’ll slowly build up and hopefully make some changes
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't make short journeys in the car or by public transport if you make them now, walk instead.
just_m3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good that you want to take care of your health. In my experience any time spent worrying about whether you're doing the right kind of exercise is time wasted - you could have spent that time on actually exercising. Don't worry about whether you will run 10 minutes or 15 minutes or whatever or how many days. Just get out there and run. I'd start with 3x a week. Trust me if you can keep that up for a month that will be much better than starting out at 7x a week and then quitting after 10 days because it's too much. You'll get a feel for it soon enough, you'll learn to listen to your body regarding if you can do more or should do less.

For the diet, don't worry about it for now. One thing at a time. When the time for diet does come, again take the same approach. Just start somewhere simple and see how it goes. For example, try to be really mindful to only eat fast food 1x a week or something. Don't worry about the other days. Then after a month of consistently doing that thing, try to see if you can do more.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
I need to loose weight, but i have this frustrating all of nothing attitude where I plan everything so much then give up. I need to stop this and I feel like exercise is a good place to start and bring in diet more gradually. Is this a good plan: Run/jog for 10 mins 5x a week then each week add 5 minutes, i’ve tried the NHS couch to 5k but it’s not my thing.
Any other advice for exercise/weightloss/ overall lifestyle change would be appreciated loads
You may as well start with your diet. You won't lose weight if you're running 5x per week for 30 minutes but still eating 4000 calories a day, for example.

Also, the more exercise you do, the hungrier you will feel. So you want to make sure the food you are eating is giving you the energy you need. Really if you want to loose weight it will be mostly about diet. Exercise is just something to add after and for general wellbeing.
a8i
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 14t)
I tried running every second day in lockdown after having almost never run before. Even though I'm quite healthy and fit, after about a month, my knees started really hurting and I basically couldn't run anymore, this was due to overtraining. So, may advice would be to find a different way to exercise than running because to run and not get injured you really have to look after your body. I suggest pilates, active yoga or dance - find a form of exercise you enjoy thats not too straining on the joints and do it a few times a week. I now do yoga and I love it, yoga makes me want to be more active and flexible, so I feel more motivated to exercise, whereas running made me feel drained.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads