English Language or Literature for A-Levels?

Watch
Arakha
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not sure which one to chose for a levels.
I read a description of the two and I think I would be more interested doing language because it’s more ‘me’ but I also read that literature id highly regarded to universities. I want to study law in university. Anyone have any advice?
Foreverparnoid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're regarded the same imo. I'm currently doing A level English lit and I love it, but I have friends who do lang who also like that. Alternatively, you can do A level English lang & lit!! which is an actual A level that combines the two. But if you enjoy/better at lang I'd say go for that
Last edited by Foreverparnoid; 1 month ago
Something Peach
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Arakha)
I read a description of the two and I think I would be more interested doing language because it’s more ‘me’ but I also read that literature id highly regarded to universities. I want to study law in university. Anyone have any advice?
Do language if you enjoy it more. They're both good subjects and grades are more important in most cases. It'd be better to have an A in language than a B in literature.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pick language if you think you'd enjoy it more. both are good subjects and alright for law. what other subjects are you thinking of doing?
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
pick language if you think you'd enjoy it more. both are good subjects and alright for law. what other subjects are you thinking of doing?
I was planning on doing the typical English-history-psychology selection for a levels😂
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Something Peach)
Do language if you enjoy it more. They're both good subjects and grades are more important in most cases. It'd be better to have an A in language than a B in literature.
That’s so true, thanks for the help!
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foreverparnoid)
They're regarded the same imo. I'm currently doing A level English lit and I love it, but I have friends who do lang who also like that. Alternatively, you can do A level English lang & lit!! which is an actual A level that combines the two. But if you enjoy/better at lang I'd say go for that
Could u give me a quick rundown of both of them( in your course at least) because I’ve done some research on both and they’re described differently by every site I’ve looked at lol
Emperor Tamarin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know what exam board you'd be doing?

I did OCR English Language for a year, and am still studying OCR English Lit now if you have any questions
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was planning on doing the typical English-history-psychology selection for a levels😂
they sound good! i did a level psychology so lemme know if you've any questions about it
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My boyfriend does both so I could mention this to him next time I talk to him if you'd like? He's way more experienced on TSR anyway so he'll probably have more useful input than me haha. Personally though I'm in my second year of English lit and I really do like it, apart from Shakespeare maybe lol. I do Edexcel, whereas my boyfriend's board for literature was OCR.

You're right that literature is probably more highly regarded, but there are no subject requirements for law so I can't see that being an issue really. If you want to keep other doors open then perhaps do take it into consideration, but as it stands you'd be just fine with language, so if you'd enjoy it more then I'd be inclined to do that instead.
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
My boyfriend does both so I could mention this to him next time I talk to him if you'd like? He's way more experienced on TSR anyway so he'll probably have more useful input than me haha. Personally though I'm in my second year of English lit and I really do like it, apart from Shakespeare maybe lol. I do Edexcel, whereas my boyfriend's board for literature was OCR.

You're right that literature is probably more highly regarded, but there are no subject requirements for law so I can't see that being an issue really. If you want to keep other doors open then perhaps do take it into consideration, but as it stands you'd be just fine with language, so if you'd enjoy it more then I'd be inclined to do that instead.
Thank u so much It would be really helpful if I could get multiple viewpoints so if you could ask him I would be grateful

Is there a big difference between the exam boards, is OCR language and Edexcel literature or something? I haven’t taken that into consideration in my research lol

I thought there were requirements for law?!?! That’s great news then😂I just don’t find literature interesting, I more prefer the development of language and differences between cultures and societies but I’m not sure if every language course does that:/

There’s also the option of me doing Lang+lit but I’m not sure what the benefits of that are lols

(Sorry for the long reply!)
Arakha
Rep:
?
they sound good! i did a level psychology so lemme know if you've any questions about it
Thank u ) Is psychology heavily maths based or is it just grounded by simple maths topics like probability,ratio etc?
(Math is my weak point lmao)
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emperor Tamarin)
Do you know what exam board you'd be doing?

I did OCR English Language for a year, and am still studying OCR English Lit now if you have any questions
I’m not sure what exam board it would be, do they differ between 6th forms,I’m not sure where to find that info:/

And would u say English lit is something you can grow to love or something u either like or you don’t?
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank u so much It would be really helpful if I could get multiple viewpoints so if you could ask him I would be grateful

Is there a big difference between the exam boards, is OCR language and Edexcel literature or something? I haven’t taken that into consideration in my research lol

I thought there were requirements for law?!?! That’s great news then😂I just don’t find literature interesting, I more prefer the development of language and differences between cultures and societies but I’m not sure if every language course does that:/

There’s also the option of me doing Lang+lit but I’m not sure what the benefits of that are lols

(Sorry for the long reply!)
Not a problem! He'll probably answer himself when he's free because he's pretty active on here (Tolgash).

There are a few main exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, and OCR probably dominate it?) and all of them do both English courses I believe. There can be a fair difference between them, but also between different schools who use them, for instance they may choose different texts. To get more information on it you probably need to get in contact with the sixth forms you're considering and get the information from them, so that you know what the course would look like.

As far as I know there's no law course with any subject requirements. That used to be my aspiration and I was always advised that it was pretty flexible; it's more about the grades, so picking something you're interested in and would work at will benefit you more than anything else in my view. I agree that it's a very interesting topic (one that was unfortunately not offered at my sixth form), so pursuing that could be great; I can't tell you much about the courses obviously, but if you get in contact with colleges or go on their websites to find out the exam board then you can have a look online for the specifications.

I've sat in on literally a couple of Lang/Lit lessons when I've been bored and I did think it was interesting, although I'm not sure it would be what you expect. Again, go online to check the course specification and see if it's up your street. From what I gathered in my limited time there, it's more about taking principles of language and applying them to literature. It didn't seem to go too in-depth into language, but please do fact-check that. Like language, lang/lit isn't held in as high regard as pure literature though, so if your only aim in taking the combined course is the "image" as such then it's an unnecessary change.

Don't worry about the length of you replies! It's important stuff, and I've both sent and received much longer ones in the past.

Please do bear in mind that my knowledge is slightly limited as I've only done one of the three courses you're talking about, but I'm answering to the best of my ability.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the tag, ashtolga23. I'll gladly answer this user's question.

Most law degrees do not include an essential A Level subject as part of their entry requirements, especially the most competitive ones. I have seen many people strongly recommend an essay-based subject though. With this in mind, both subjects are suitable options, and neither of them will lend your university application an advantage. Thus, as other users have said, your choice should be dependent upon the grade you expect to achieve in the end. If you believe that your chances of attaining the highest grade are lower with literature, do not take it.

My sixth form currently has a pupil who is applying to study law with English language at A Level. They seem quite comfortable without English literature.

I’m not sure what exam board it would be, do they differ between 6th forms,I’m not sure where to find that info:/
Go on their ‘curriculum’ webpage or look at their exam results. Both will usually show the awarding body, and the former should include their description of the course, which may be important.

And would u say English lit is something you can grow to love or something u either like or you don’t?
You can ‘grow to love’ any subject. You can also grow to hate one too. You don't know whether your opinion of a subject will remain the same throughout the two years you study it at this level. However, it's best to let your intuition decide in cases like yours.

English literature is at A Level isn't a far cry from GCSE. You get used to writing with a more critical style, incorporating professional interpretations of a text and analysing unseen texts. You also have an NEA component, which can feel quite tedious at times, but language also has this. It can be quite enjoyable if you read texts you're interested in, so that's certainly something worth considering.

English language at A Level is a different story. You learn about language levels and use them in your essays. On top of the metalanguage, a large number of linguistic discourses (e.g. prescriptivism v. descriptivism), concepts (e.g. English as a lingua franca) and theories (e.g. Chomsky's language-acquisition device) are introduced.

You not only write textual analysis and evaluative essays, but also some original writing and a language investigation (NEA). The language investigation appears to be notoriously difficult, and I've seen many people actually struggle with that, but it can be done if you are dedicated enough.

Good luck!
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 month ago
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank u ) Is psychology heavily maths based or is it just grounded by simple maths topics like probability,ratio etc?
(Math is my weak point lmao)
there is some maths but it's not hard at all, just some basic stuff so don't worry about it.
Arakha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
there is some maths but it's not hard at all, just some basic stuff so don't worry about it.
Thank you !
Arakha
Rep:
?
Thank youu!
One question. Do you think my options will be quite heavy work/essay wise altogether or is it manageable?
Arakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Not a problem! He'll probably answer himself when he's free because he's pretty active on here (Tolgash).

There are a few main exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, and OCR probably dominate it?) and all of them do both English courses I believe. There can be a fair difference between them, but also between different schools who use them, for instance they may choose different texts. To get more information on it you probably need to get in contact with the sixth forms you're considering and get the information from them, so that you know what the course would look like.

As far as I know there's no law course with any subject requirements. That used to be my aspiration and I was always advised that it was pretty flexible; it's more about the grades, so picking something you're interested in and would work at will benefit you more than anything else in my view. I agree that it's a very interesting topic (one that was unfortunately not offered at my sixth form), so pursuing that could be great; I can't tell you much about the courses obviously, but if you get in contact with colleges or go on their websites to find out the exam board then you can have a look online for the specifications.

I've sat in on literally a couple of Lang/Lit lessons when I've been bored and I did think it was interesting, although I'm not sure it would be what you expect. Again, go online to check the course specification and see if it's up your street. From what I gathered in my limited time there, it's more about taking principles of language and applying them to literature. It didn't seem to go too in-depth into language, but please do fact-check that. Like language, lang/lit isn't held in as high regard as pure literature though, so if your only aim in taking the combined course is the "image" as such then it's an unnecessary change.

Don't worry about the length of you replies! It's important stuff, and I've both sent and received much longer ones in the past.

Please do bear in mind that my knowledge is slightly limited as I've only done one of the three courses you're talking about, but I'm answering to the best of my ability.
Hey again!
I’m really sorry for the slow reply, I didn’t realise I don’t get notifications on here.

Thank you for the information! I honestly did not know where to start:/

I will have to look into which exam boards the schools I will apply to are using to get a better idea of what I’m signing up for.

That’s kind of a relief to know that there aren’t any specifications( from what you know) about law but it also means I need to do really well in whatever subjects I choose now😂 I will obviously do some personal research too because I’m not sure I will be able to sit through literature, it will be too boring lol(at least from what I have read about it)

I think I will still consider language+literature but as I said, I think I need to do some more research into them generally because maybe there is a literature course out there that I will love !

Although you said your knowledge is limited, I will definitely take your info into consideration because it’s really helpful!
liv...
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank youu!
One question. Do you think my options will be quite heavy work/essay wise altogether or is it manageable?
i do 4 A levels, all of which are essay based (plus an EPQ). I prefer that personally because i’m better at writing so i guess it depends where your strengths are, and i’m not finding the amount of essays overwhelming either - i think it helps when you enjoy what you’re learning / writing about.
Also in regards to the original post, i do both lit and language and enjoy both; language is more looking at specific words, why they’re used, who uses them (like differences in words used by different genders, ages, social class etc.) and is really interesting for getting an understanding of meaning & how to manipulate speech to get a certain outcome. My teacher once summed it up by saying it’s an A level in thoughts you have at 2am! Lit on the other hand is a lot to do with studying books & plays, fitting in context & critical analysis (so looking at perspectives like those of a feminist, marxist etc.) so a lot like GCSE but with that extra perceptiveness & critic application. I’m sure you’ll get on fine with either, they’re both interesting subjects and easy to get the hang of. Hope that helps a bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads