YGSK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how much of physics and chemistry a level is maths. Like it says that 40% of physics is maths, but others have told me it’s way more than that. My exam boards are OCR A physics and Edexcel chemistry.

Thanks
b.lehhh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my exam boards for both physics and chemistry is Edexcel so I'm sorry I couldn't be more help for physics. However I would say for chemistry only about 20% is maths, in which they are mostly mole or concentration calculations. So there aren't many equations to memorise and the question would guide you step by step so I don't think you have to be too worried about the maths.
YGSK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the response,

I would say the maths is my best part during GCSE. Is it a big step from GCSE. For example, when you did GCSE did you have the CGP grade 8-9 workbooks, is that kind of hardness?
b.lehhh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I actually study my A levels in Hong Kong so my situation is a bit different than yours. However I did take further pure maths for my GCSE and honestly for a levels it’s only a little bit harder so I’m sure you can manage. So even if you have so weaker units for GCSE you’ll be able to catch up during the two years of a levels prep.

I’m not sure if you are studying FPM or not, but a levels maths is definitely much more difficult than GCSE Mathematics A

Hope this helps
Last edited by b.lehhh; 1 month ago
Avesta2003
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mathematics is the foundation of physics, so it's certainly 100% mathematics! Not sure how one got to the conclusion that physics is '40% mathematics'. That is quite ridiculous.
Chemistry and Physics are certainly the more maths based A-Level science subjects, but you can't really put a percentage on them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads