Do I need maths a level for medicine??

Watch
zaram67700
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 11 and want to do med at uni. I want to get into one of the Russel group med schools. I am defo taking chem and bio. I just don’t like maths. I’d much prefer to do either religious studies or psychology. But I don’t know whether it would be a detriment to me to not take maths, like would I have a lower chance of getting accepted from these uni’s?
Thank you x
username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah, maths isn’t that important for medicine
username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You only need biology & chemistry, but people tend to take maths because it’s complementary to chemistry & biology.
SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zaram67700)
I’m in year 11 and want to do med at uni. I want to get into one of the Russel group med schools. I am defo taking chem and bio. I just don’t like maths. I’d much prefer to do either religious studies or psychology. But I don’t know whether it would be a detriment to me to not take maths, like would I have a lower chance of getting accepted from these uni’s?
Thank you x
I had the same issue! I was so glad I wasn’t doing a level maths! Anyways I picked psychology but then found it quite boring so I looked through some maths bridging work because maths is good to have, it would look better but it is NOT necessary and you can still do medicine without it. So yeah I did a few sheets on the bridging work and decided to pick maths on top of the 3 so I was doing maths bio chem psychology. Then like a month later I dropped psychology because it was getting more boring so yeah
y_katz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only a few require it (e.g. Cambridge) but most Russell Group universities couldn't care less what your third is! So long as it's not General/Media Studies, which most med schools don't accept, it's much better to take a third subject you're sure you can get an A in.
Last edited by y_katz; 1 month ago
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You only need two sciences, the best choices are chemistry and biology. Your third subject can be anything really, it’s jsut people tend to choose another science (maths is a science) to complement chem and bio. I did maths, chemistry and religious studies and I want to do medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (71)
27.41%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.73%

Watched Threads