Why do people laugh at me?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is gonna be a bit of a long post but I just need to say this:
I’ve started to notice that some of my closest friends laugh at me for no reason whatsoever.
In school I was very much a no- nonsense and focussed person and because of it, I think I missed out on some aspects of school life (which I don’t really regret).
When I started uni last year, I decided to finally let my wild/ carefree side out and basically became very social and the complete opposite to what I was at school. I was a lot happier at uni for it because I finally felt more comfortable in my own skin etc. My flatmates in first year I think understood me quite well and realised that whilst I have a wild side, I also am a serious person and as a result, they respected me for it.
Anyway, this year I moved in with two of my closest uni friends (not my old flatmates). Don’t get me wrong, I love them both but I feel like they just don’t respect me or take me seriously.
Again, I think it might be because I come across as a clueless and unaffected individual, which to an extent is true but it doesn’t mean that that’s all I am you know?
I’ll do something very simple like explain that I like to do things a certain way and they’ll just start to laugh. Like I don’t understand what’s funny and when I say ‘I don’t get why that’s funny’ they’ll just start to laugh even louder and I’m like ??
This one time I was talking to them about quite a traumatic event from my past and they just laughed, it was a proper laugh as well, not even a sympathetic one and I was thinking ‘if I laughed like this at you, you wouldn’t take it as well as I am right now’
Like I don’t get why they feel like it’s okay to laugh at me.
I think it’s maybe because I am not as serious as the other two and I feel like they kind of see me as ‘beneath’ them or something and will often just laugh.
One of my friends isn’t too bad, she’ll laugh when I genuinely explain funny things and when it’s just us two, she doesn’t laugh at me but laughs with me but the other one will just laugh at me (and this makes the other friend laugh as well).
I don’t wanna go back to being the 2D try hard I was at school but I feel like this other friend just thinks that she’s better than me or something and feels like it’s okay to laugh just because I’m not as serious as her and enjoy a work life balance. She claims to be empathetic but I really don’t think she is and she fakes it a lot of the time. This is the only thing about her that seriously bugs me.
How do I get these people to take me more seriously? I feel like the best way to do it would be to outperform both of them in the next exam to show them that I’m not just some idiot but idk.
Initially I was like ‘well I mean at least they find me funny’ but now I think they just need someone to laugh at and have mutually decided that it should be me. They’ve laughed at me for no reason like 4 times now and I’m just fed up of it.
Anonymous #1
I’m very much an ‘eye for an eye’ person and kind of just wanna laugh at something she says for no reason just to give her a taste of her own medicine. I think that would be quite effective but then it makes me no better than her....
StopRightThere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe they miss the old you? They might even feel jealous of you since you feel comfortable.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StopRightThere)
Maybe they miss the old you? They might even feel jealous of you since you feel comfortable.
I’ve only been friends with these people for a year, they’ve never really seen the old me
quimslaya
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
straight up, these people don't sound like real friends, if you're sharing a traumatic story from your past and they're laughing cut them off, they don't deserve you as a friend.
Rumiii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve only been friends with these people for a year, they’ve never really seen the old me
I mean if you’ve only known them for a year, it could be that they’re not really your true friends. You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable in a friendship, if you do, then it’s not a healthy friendship, especially if they don’t understand you.
StopRightThere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Drop em. They don't sound like real friends. If they are laughing behind your back, they're snakes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.29%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (68)
19.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
28.86%

Watched Threads