Regarding admission to top 10 universities

Watch
vamshi979
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hai everyone!my sister is applying for the class of 2025 to the top 10 universities of the world .anyone who was already into the top 10 universities or graduated ,could you please guide us through the process .this helps means alot to us
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's about 3 years too soon to apply for 2025 entry
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Other than study hard and achieve the highest academic grades possible, there's nothing you can really do to improve your chances that far ahead of applying. She might consider some relevant extra/super curriculars a couple of years ahead of the uni start date.
vamshi979
Rep:
?
hi ..thanks for the swift reply....its typo mistake ....we are applying for the course which starts in sep 2021 ...application deadline is 1st jan 2021 ....could you please help me
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know where that application deadline comes from - for Oxbridge the deadline has passed and if any other UK unis are in your top 10 then their deadline is 15th Jan. Rest of the world - who knows!
Rumiii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the subject you want to study. And universities are a lot more than just rankings in the world, make sure you actually like the atmosphere accommodation and location etc of where you’ll be staying.
vamshi979
Rep:
?
actually we are applying for the top 10 universities of the world .she got 250+ certificates...worked as secretary general for model united nations .worked as president of youth affairs for various NGOs...got her ielts score 7.5 on 9.her 10th percentage is 96%...published two papers on computer science...wrote two books ...we want help in essay and the whole process of application ..we need suggestions of how can she make her application weight heavier
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vamshi979)
actually we are applying for the top 10 universities of the world .she got 250+ certificates...worked as secretary general for model united nations .worked as president of youth affairs for various NGOs...got her ielts score 7.5 on 9.her 10th percentage is 96%...published two papers on computer science...wrote two books ...we want help in essay and the whole process of application ..we need suggestions of how can she make her application weight heavier
Top 10 by which ranking? Most rankings have both Oxbridge unis in the top 10, and 1) you can only apply to one of them, and 2) you have missed the 2021 entry deadline for them both.
Last edited by Interea; 1 month ago
vamshi979
Rep:
?
we are applying for imperial ,London school of economics, MIT,stanford,harvard,Edinburgh, California,Georgia Pennsylvania's
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
we are applying for imperial ,London school of economics, MIT,stanford,harvard,Edinburgh, California,Georgia Pennsylvania's
What course is your sister applying to at Imperial, LSE and Edinburgh?
vamshi979
Rep:
?
computer science
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are "California" and "Georgia Pennsylvania's"?

Edinburgh and LSE aren't typically in the top 10 Worldwide. The top two in the UK, that are top 10 Worldwide, are Oxford and Cambridge, which you haven't included - odd.

Given that you've not listed any subject qualifications (or SAT/ACT), I'm sceptical as to the seriousness of this thread.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
dlwlrma_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the US universities, check their EA and ED deadlines. There are a ton of essays to write. Like RogerOxon, I'm doubting the seriousness of this thread. It is highly unlikely that a student applying to Ivies (and are UCs even in the top 10?) have not done enough research on their part regarding deadlines.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
computer science
LSE doesn't have a computer science degree.
vamshi979
Rep:
?
LSE i am planning to apply data science ..I have not mentioned computer science particularly for LSE .I am so sorry that I have not mentioned SAT she secured 1550
vamshi979
Rep:
?
California institute of technology ,university of Georgia tech ,Pennsylvania university ....these are the top 10 universities of the world
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE i am planning to apply data science ..I have not mentioned computer science particularly for LSE .I am so sorry that I have not mentioned SAT she secured 1550
Is it you applying or your sister?

If you apply for data science at LSE with a computer science PS then your chances of an offer are very small
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't really understand what you need help with, but I'll tell you what I know at least.

It might depend on what country your sister is from, but you have to apply through UCAS in most cases. This is a website where you can apply to 5 universities in the UK. You will have to write a personal statement which is 4000 characters long if I remember correctly. You can watch some videos about this on Youtube. Your sister should include all of her achievements.

For the US, you have to apply to each university separately and it usually costs quite a lot of money. Each university has a separate admissions process so follow the instructions on their website and you'll be fine.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also what rankings are you looking at that say that Edinburgh is top 10 in the world. I've looked at a few for Computer Science and none of them said what you're saying.

Here are the ones I found:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...mation-systems

That being said it is not necessary for your sister to just apply to the top 10. Most high ranking universities will be just as good.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For applications to UK unis, the following page is a good place to start:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...te-application

It boils down to listing all your academic qualifications and writing a personal statement that demonstrates interest and suitability for the course that is being applied for. You can apply for five courses via UCAS, but you only get one statement for all of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (122)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.28%
No - I live at home during term anyway (127)
29.47%

Watched Threads