The Student Room Group

Sending UCAS Application in December/January instead of Oct/Nov

I take Alevel Maths, Law and Business and I only know one of my predicted grades (a C in Law) since my other teachers have not replied to me but I doubt the others will be As.

So I was wondering if I could send my application off later so I can still persuade my teachers for better predicted grades during November/early December.
However, I know that the course I want to do (Economics) is competitive af so I heard that there may not be many places left.

Any advice please?
As long as you are not applying to Oxbridge for Economics) then the standard deadline is in January
You will not be at any disadvantage as long as you apply by January 15th
Universities don't "run out" of places or offers before the January deadline. In fact over 90% of courses were still accepting applications AFTER the deadline last year.

As long as your referee and UCAS coordinators know that you're making progress on your application and they can provide their parts before the deadline you'll be fine.
You won't be disadvantaged by applying in dec/jan as opposed to oct/nov. Does your college have it's own internal deadlines? (some do so they can get references and predicted grades sorted in time).

I think it would be best to see if you could arrange a short meeting with your teachers to discuss your predicted grades, and let them know what the minimum grades you need are. You could ask them if there is anything you can do to get your predicted grades up, perhaps by taking a mock exam or writing an essay independently.

If they still don't think you're capable of more than they're predicting and you don't meet the entry requirements, then it might be worth applying to uni's with lower entry requirements or for foundation years / access courses etc. If you end up doing well you can try for standard entry / another uni via extra. Another alternative might be a gap year if you don't fancy a foundation / access but are confident you will do well enough to apply to the unis you want next year (some real world work / life experience can help give you an edge over other candidates and would give you a chance for a re sit if needed).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending