Will an automatic air freshener set off the fire alarm?

Watch
pancakie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok so basically, I have a flatmate who smokes and usually this would be fine but said flatmate smokes in our flat and so the whole of our flat just stinks of it. I really don’t like smoking and I’d rather he not do it inside but I’m not exactly confident enough to ask him to stop doing it inside and well, I also don’t want to be a mood killer...
Therefore I was thinking of getting an automatic air freshener for the corridor but I’m just a bit worried it will set off the fire alarm?
Considering he smokes inside and it doesn’t set it off maybe it will be fine but I just wanted to make sure. Will an automatic air freshener set off the fire alarm?
A+B+C
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It shouldn't set the fire alarm off if it isn't near any of the detectors, but sometimes small things like deodorant can set them off so be careful. It'd just be easier if you asked them not to smoke inside. The smell of stale smoke lingers, an air freshener isn't going to do much.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, many unis use automatic fresheners and they don't set off fire alarms. As above, just don't place it directly under one and you will be fine.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pancakie)
Ok so basically, I have a flatmate who smokes and usually this would be fine but said flatmate smokes in our flat and so the whole of our flat just stinks of it. I really don’t like smoking and I’d rather he not do it inside but I’m not exactly confident enough to ask him to stop doing it inside and well, I also don’t want to be a mood killer...
Therefore I was thinking of getting an automatic air freshener for the corridor but I’m just a bit worried it will set off the fire alarm?
Considering he smokes inside and it doesn’t set it off maybe it will be fine but I just wanted to make sure. Will an automatic air freshener set off the fire alarm?
Hey pancakie!

It shouldn’t set off the fire alarm unless it was placed right next to it

Also at our uni in halls if we set our flat alarm off it would only set it off I our flat until someone came to check
So if it did set it off you can explain to them what it was and it shouldn’t be a problem

But I don’t think it will set it off

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
weightlifting98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does he cover the fire alarm while he smokes? He might get unlucky one day!
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ugh I hate people who smoke inside a shared flat without bothering to check how others feel about it. So rude.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads