Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

I have just started a new job and hate it. It's long hours, rude staff, and long travel time. This job is causing me so much anxiety, I am upset about it daily, I hate it.... Now I have started looking for a new job in my field of study, how bad would it look if I left so soon? Of course I cannot use them as a reference because they probably will hate me.

Although it may take months until I found something. Do I tell them I am looking for a new job? Do I put on my applications I have a job?I am likely to quit if I don't find one soon, money isn't an issue, I feel that my mental well-being should come first
jokumu56102
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have just started a new job and hate it. It's long hours, rude staff, and long travel time. This job is causing me so much anxiety, I am upset about it daily, I hate it.... Now I have started looking for a new job in my field of study, how bad would it look if I left so soon? Of course I cannot use them as a reference because they probably will hate me.

Although it may take months until I found something. Do I tell them I am looking for a new job? Do I put on my applications I have a job?I am likely to quit if I don't find one soon, money isn't an issue, I feel that my mental well-being should come first
I think the most important thing is your health and wellbeing! We all get jobs because it provides. Don't get me wrong there are many bonuses and benefits of having a job and many people love their jobs too. In your case you're not enjoying the job and you're not financially strapped (I'm assuming).

You're not obligated to provide all/any work history. It is however, beneficial to do so as it shows new employers that you're reliable and it helps back up whatever work relatable skills you put on your CV.

What I would say is start looking for a new job. If you have a short gap between your past work experiences and the new jobs you're applying for then don't tell them you're currently working as they will ask you why you're leaving. If you haven't worked for a while since starting this current job then do put it on your CV, identify critical skills and responsibilities you had in the job and then if they do ask you about it just say you loved the job but it was too far to travel or something like that.

Don't say anything bad about the job, the people or the pay. Just tell the truth with a touch of white lie.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jokumu56102)
I think the most important thing is your health and wellbeing! We all get jobs because it provides. Don't get me wrong there are many bonuses and benefits of having a job and many people love their jobs too. In your case you're not enjoying the job and you're not financially strapped (I'm assuming).

You're not obligated to provide all/any work history. It is however, beneficial to do so as it shows new employers that you're reliable and it helps back up whatever work relatable skills you put on your CV.

What I would say is start looking for a new job. If you have a short gap between your past work experiences and the new jobs you're applying for then don't tell them you're currently working as they will ask you why you're leaving. If you haven't worked for a while since starting this current job then do put it on your CV, identify critical skills and responsibilities you had in the job and then if they do ask you about it just say you loved the job but it was too far to travel or something like that.

Don't say anything bad about the job, the people or the pay. Just tell the truth with a touch of white lie.
Thank you for the advice, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Although I wouldn't technically be lying because the travel time is ridiculous. I want to try my best to stick it out until I find something else but it's so hard when it makes you miserable everyday
jokumu56102
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for the advice, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Although I wouldn't technically be lying because the travel time is ridiculous. I want to try my best to stick it out until I find something else but it's so hard when it makes you miserable everyday
I know it's not easy and I can't say "I can relate" as I don't know what you feel. What I can say is that you should stick it out for the time being as it is taking recruiters much longer than usual to process applicants due to the current COVID situation. I would encourage you get yourself involved in something fun and time consuming to get your mind off work whether it be long walks, time with family, going for runs or whatever brings you joy and relieves stress.

Always, always take a step back, breath in deeply and give yourself time to realise. You'll get through this!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Mental health comes first, i mean don't put on your cv if you don't have to
Anonymous #1

I have been offered an interview next week for something I have applied for before I got offered this job, I have spoken to the manager and she seems lovely! I know I would be better suited for this position because I have experience whereas the other was an entry level job. This job is better pay, day time hours and much closer to me! I just don't know whether to tell these people that I currently have a job and don't want to look like I am job hopping because I haven't been there long. I am grateful that I have a job because I know many people are struggling (I am sorry if it comes across that way)
jokumu56102
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have been offered an interview next week for something I have applied for before I got offered this job, I have spoken to the manager and she seems lovely! I know I would be better suited for this position because I have experience whereas the other was an entry level job. This job is better pay, day time hours and much closer to me! I just don't know whether to tell these people that I currently have a job and don't want to look like I am job hopping because I haven't been there long. I am grateful that I have a job because I know many people are struggling (I am sorry if it comes across that way)
I’d say deal with every hurdle as they come! Focus on the interview, if they like you then they’ll ask you when you can start and that’s when you can just say you have a few commitments/plans until a certain date (this date should coincide with notice if required). Don’t disclose what is not asked of you, you’ll just end up digging a bigger hole for yourself. The current job might be happy to let you go as you haven’t been there for a while. It might also be the case that you have to give a certain notice period but this would also be in conjunction with the time you’ve been with them.

Look at it this way, if the company that’s offered you an interview really likes you, they’ll be glad you’re leaving the other company
Last edited by jokumu56102; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed