What University Should I target for PhD Funding Opportunities

Watch
DanielWu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I have finished my undergraduate studies earlier this year and currently doing a taught master. As I recognize the current situation has a significant impact on job hunting, I am thinking about applying for PhD 2021(or 2022) entry.

Here is more detailed information about my background:
-International Student
-Undergraduate: International Business at Edinburgh University (1st Class: first two years are just around 63-64, but did well in my last year)
*Although it is a business degree, I had around 1/3 of my modules of quantitative nature, such as Decision analytics and mathematical modelling.
-Currently doing Financial Management at SOAS, with a focus on the Asian markets (gonna write dissertation on the financial reform in China)

I will definitely try to get a distinction (at least high merit) for my taught master's programme and I am interested in PhD Business & Management or PhD in Accounting & Finance. Could anyone please give me some suggestions on what tier of universities should I hope for, if I wish to apply for scholarship/studentship?
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be honest, I think your best bet is just email all unis (the specific department) and ask them whether they have any opportunities that are coming up that you could apply for. Also, you could go after research councils but you would still need to email the departments to see if anyone would supervise you (go through the staff list and see what their research interests are first because your supervisor must know about the area you want to study)
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DanielWu)
Hi everyone, I have finished my undergraduate studies earlier this year and currently doing a taught master. As I recognize the current situation has a significant impact on job hunting, I am thinking about applying for PhD 2021(or 2022) entry.

-International Student
-Undergraduate: International Business at Edinburgh University (1st Class: first two years are just around 63-64, but did well in my last year)
*Although it is a business degree, I had around 1/3 of my modules of quantitative nature, such as Decision analytics and mathematical modelling.
-Currently doing Financial Management at SOAS, with a focus on the Asian markets (gonna write dissertation on the financial reform in China)

I will definitely try to get a distinction (at least high merit) for my taught master's programme and I am interested in PhD Business & Management or PhD in Accounting & Finance. Could anyone please give me some suggestions on what tier of universities should I hope for, if I wish to apply for scholarship/studentship?
With a first class undergraduate degree and a distinction or high merit at masters level, you have a reasonable chance of securing a funded PhD at the majority of UK institutions, or via the relevant research councils.

That said, grades are really only a part of a PhD application - whether you gain funding will very much depend upon the strength of your research proposal. Most funding bodies are looking to fund research that identifies a gap in existing knowledge and clearly lays out how the research will fill that gap. Increasingly, funders are also very interested in funding collaborative PhD projects with business or community organisations, and that can demonstrate good research impact.

As Moana92 has said, you probably want to start looking at which academics would be best to supervise your proposed PhD project, or which universities are already running projects that you would be interested in working within. Once you've identified some potential supervisors, they'll be able to advise you on the PhD funding opportunities available at their institution, as well as help you put together a really strong research proposal.

Hope that helps and good luck with your applications!

Amy
DanielWu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moana92)
To be honest, I think your best bet is just email all unis (the specific department) and ask them whether they have any opportunities that are coming up that you could apply for. Also, you could go after research councils but you would still need to email the departments to see if anyone would supervise you (go through the staff list and see what their research interests are first because your supervisor must know about the area you want to study)
Thank you for the advice, Moana. Guess that's what I will do in the following weeks!
DanielWu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keele University)
With a first class undergraduate degree and a distinction or high merit at masters level, you have a reasonable chance of securing a funded PhD at the majority of UK institutions, or via the relevant research councils.

That said, grades are really only a part of a PhD application - whether you gain funding will very much depend upon the strength of your research proposal. Most funding bodies are looking to fund research that identifies a gap in existing knowledge and clearly lays out how the research will fill that gap. Increasingly, funders are also very interested in funding collaborative PhD projects with business or community organisations, and that can demonstrate good research impact.

As Moana92 has said, you probably want to start looking at which academics would be best to supervise your proposed PhD project, or which universities are already running projects that you would be interested in working within. Once you've identified some potential supervisors, they'll be able to advise you on the PhD funding opportunities available at their institution, as well as help you put together a really strong research proposal.

Hope that helps and good luck with your applications!

Amy
Thank you Amy. I wasn't really sure how hard it is to get funding for PhD as an international student and your explanation certainly made me feel more confident.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DanielWu)

-International Student

Lots of unis will do PhD Business & Management or PhD in Accounting & Finance. It really depends on the niche are you want to pursue.
Look at which unis offer a good resources in that niche area... rather then with these subjects, thats probably looking too broadly.

Also dont leave it to chance, just get a distinction, will make a more competitive application. And try and get an excellent disso mark, and have things to talk about for your PhD interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads