Banana-bread
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so basically I'm applying for uni and I'm really interested in animal biology and science and there's a course in Bioveterinary Science at Lincoln University i'm wanting to apply for but I don't think I have the correct entry requirements so I'm going to email them and enquire (if anyone here knows could you let me know? I did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in animal management last year (overall grade distinction) and this year i'm doing a Level 3 Diploma)

looking at the modules they seem to be pretty similar but i'm not too sure why, is one to do with veterinary medicine?

Thanks
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would expect a biovet course to focus more on the biomolecular side of animal biology (physiology, biochemistry, genetics) with more about the specific area of health and disease in animals as well, whereas a zoology degree I imagine would be broader and include more aspects of evolution, ecology and conservation as well as the core biomolecular stuff for example.
Banana-bread
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I would expect a biovet course to focus more on the biomolecular side of animal biology (physiology, biochemistry, genetics) with more about the specific area of health and disease in animals as well, whereas a zoology degree I imagine would be broader and include more aspects of evolution, ecology and conservation as well as the core biomolecular stuff for example.
ahhh okay, thanks
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Banana-bread)
Okay so basically I'm applying for uni and I'm really interested in animal biology and science and there's a course in Bioveterinary Science at Lincoln University i'm wanting to apply for but I don't think I have the correct entry requirements so I'm going to email them and enquire (if anyone here knows could you let me know? I did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in animal management last year (overall grade distinction) and this year i'm doing a Level 3 Diploma)

looking at the modules they seem to be pretty similar but i'm not too sure why, is one to do with veterinary medicine?

Thanks
Hi Banana-bread,

Hope you are well and safe. I am pleased to hear you are considering Univerity of Lincoln. Like artful_lounger said, biovet looks at the science behind animal health and disease (some molecular biology) whereas zoology the actual animals i.e. how they've evolved, their behaviour, anatomy and conservation etc.

From my understanding, the entry requirement is a distinction, distinction, merit in BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management/Applied Science for both courses. If you finish your Level 3 Diploma this year with these grades, you shouldn't have a problem getting into the courses you're interested in. If you are still unsure or have further questions regarding the entry, please email our admissions team on [email protected]

Here are links to the course pages for Biovet and Zoology. On here you can find out more on modules and how you are assessed etc.

Feel free to message us on here or on UniBuddy about the general student life or anything you would like to know about before going to University. We would love to hear from you.

Best wishes.
Natt - 3rd-year Biomedical Science Student
Banana-bread
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent)
Hi Banana-bread,

Hope you are well and safe. I am pleased to hear you are considering Univerity of Lincoln. Like artful_lounger said, biovet looks at the science behind animal health and disease (some molecular biology) whereas zoology the actual animals i.e. how they've evolved, their behaviour, anatomy and conservation etc.

From my understanding, the entry requirement is a distinction, distinction, merit in BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management/Applied Science for both courses. If you finish your Level 3 Diploma this year with these grades, you shouldn't have a problem getting into the courses you're interested in. If you are still unsure or have further questions regarding the entry, please email our admissions team on [email protected]

Here are links to the course pages for Biovet and Zoology. On here you can find out more on modules and how you are assessed etc.

Feel free to message us on here or on UniBuddy about the general student life or anything you would like to know about before going to University. We would love to hear from you.

Best wishes.
Natt - 3rd-year Biomedical Science Student
thanks, that's great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (781)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.72%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise