dog25
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey so i was wondering
1)What happens if an electron on say Energy level 2 lost energy but energy level 1 had 2 electrons already what would happen?Would it be able to jump down levels,because it can't remain in an energy level which does not have the same energy as it .
2)When light is produced the electromagnetic wave given of when the electrons jump down energy level why does the electron lose energy if the electric energy is being supplies constanly?
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dog25)
1)What happens if an electron on say Energy level 2 lost energy but energy level 1 had 2 electrons already what would happen?Would it be able to jump down levels,because it can't remain in an energy level which does not have the same energy as it .
The electron in energy level 2 would be forbidden from losing energy, so any process in which it had to do so would not happen. The exception would be if you kicked out an electron in level 1 (say, by a high energy incoming X-ray) then you could get a transition from level 2 to level 1 with a corresponding emission of energy.

(Original post by dog25)
2)When light is produced the electromagnetic wave given of when the electrons jump down energy level why does the electron lose energy if the electric energy is being supplies constanly?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but it is important to note that the energy from an electromagetic wave does not arrive or leave continuously - it is absorbed or emitted in discrete chunks (quanta) the energy of which is proportional to the frequency of the light. Therefore, an electron which loses energy has to emit a very specific frequency, and an electron which gains energy has to absorb a very specific frequency. After making the transition, the quantum of energy (photon) is removed or added into the field.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by lordaxil; 1 month ago
dog25
Rep:
?
OMG thanks for question 2 i was asking
so an electron emits energy when it jumps down energy levels .So when electrical energy is supplied to an atom to produce light the atom moves up energy levels as it gains energy but why would it jump down to emit light?
dog25
Rep:
?
because if the switch of the lightbulb is on the energy is being supplied constantly,ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh is it because there is a gap?
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OK, I see what you're asking now. Generally speaking, electrons will always move down from an "excited state" to the lowest unoccupied energy level ("ground state") and emit a photon in the process, even if electrical energy is continuously supplied. This process is known as spontaneous emission. The reason for this is not at all obvious, and in fact a rigorous explanation requires graduate level quantum mechanics to understand. Loosely speaking, one can understand it because there are many more ways to emit a photon than there are to absorb one, which leads to an irreversible process of spontaneous emission.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.47%
No - I have already returned home (26)
11.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (23)
9.87%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed