oxfordwannabe8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know that there's no guarantee of things that could get you into a law course at Oxford, but what would be a checklist of things they look for in a student?
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oxfordwannabe8)
I know that there's no guarantee of things that could get you into a law course at Oxford, but what would be a checklist of things they look for in a student?
Think twice whether you are actually going to enjoy the course.

A current Oxford Law Student
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Knowing that it's Jurisprudence?

Grades and LNAT score.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rudence?wssl=1

(Original post by https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/undergraduate-selection-criteria;undefined)
Qualitative admissions criteria
Please note that evidence of substantive academic achievement to date (in addition to LNAT) must be provided by applicants. Offers cannot be made on the basis of applications which contain only predictions of future grades and achievements.

Successful applicants for admission to our undergraduate law programmes possess the following qualities, and the admissions process as a whole is designed to identify which applicants possess them in the greatest measure:

Application: motivation and capacity for sustained and intense work;

Reasoning ability: ability to analyse and solve problems using logical and critical approaches, ability to draw fine distinctions, ability to separate the relevant from the irrelevant, capacity for accurate and critical observation, capacity for sustained and cogent argument, creativity and flexibility of thought and lateral thinking;

Communication: willingness and ability to express ideas clearly and effectively; ability to listen; ability to give considered responses.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
oxfordwannabe8
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Knowing that it's Jurisprudence?

Grades and LNAT score.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rudence?wssl=1
Is that all? What sort of things do they look for on your personal statement? Thx
oxfordwannabe8
Rep:
?
(Original post by lancpe2002)
Think twice whether you are actually going to enjoy the course.

A current Oxford Law Student
I'm sure I will. What sort of things did you put on your personal statement?
Also, could you give your thoughts on the course? How hard is it? How much is the workload? How are the professors?
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, could you give your thoughts on the course? How hard is it? How much is the workload? How are the professors?
The course is intense. This week we got 2 essays due for Sunday none in my college as already started the second one. It is a step up from A-Levels. You got to comment on texts that not necessarily fit your questions. The tutors are great. I liked the reason why I wanted to study law with my subjects in terms of skills and my super curricolar experiences.
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oxford tutors don't really care for the personal statement (you should however still take it seriously because other universities will look at it). Shortlisting is primarily based on LNAT and your grades (achieved and predicted).

Course and workload: Very intense, huge step up from A levels. I worked harder my first week at Oxford (and all weeks thereafter) compared to A levels. Finals is hands down the worst and most difficult set of exams I've ever sat for so far. In retrospect, I might have gone to Cambridge solely because they take exams every year whereas Oxford only has Mods and then nothing until Finals (which is the sole determinant of your degree class). I graduated in 2014 and we used to do 7 papers back to back Monday to Saturday, day off on Sunday, 1 paper on Monday, and then 2 optional papers Tuesday to Saturday. Absolute nightmare, although I understand that the exams are now more spread out so people don't do papers on back to back days any more.

Tutors and tutorials: Great tutors, I loved the tutorial system and learnt a lot from both my tutors and my tutorial mates. That being said, it's not for everyone - I personally think that it favours people who are confident in speaking out and defending their opinion, but also humble enough to learn and recognise they might be wrong. Also bear in mind that typically there are only 2-3 people in a tutorial, so there is no hiding if you haven't done your work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.83%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (69)
30%

Watched Threads