How many days without sleep? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
My big sister (a medic :rolleyes: ) keeps telling me that the human body cannot exist more than 5 days without any sleep. I'm not sure I believe this, but I'm a bit too scared to try and prove her wrong! :p:

I get stupidly emotional when tired, not a weepy person normally!
your big sister is wrong i'm afraid (is she a medic at the university of holby city? ). there are lots of cases where people have stayed awake for more than 5 days, just looking at the guinness world records shows people who have managed over 260 hours. each person's physiology is different as well, so there's no solid rule that "a person can't survive for longer than x hours".

on a related note, i've not done any revision / work past 9pm - certainly not an all-nighter (if i've got lots of work that i haven't done in time i'll set my alarm to 5:30am and get up early *shudder*)
sparkly_tiara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I made this crazy list a while back of all the things i want to do before i turn 30 and one of them was to pull an all nighter study session- so far i haven't managed to get beyond midnight as i have just given up! Will do it some day though!

Lou
xxx
alio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow hold on, are you all talking about no sleep whatsoever. there have been times when ive had about 1 an half hours sleep each continuous night for 4 days but ive only ever done 1 true all nighter.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
What is the most amount of days you've been without sleep and why?

Mine is 4 days. Bloody Biology coursework, so F**King long! Got top marks though!

Does does anyone know any facts like - if you stay awake for x amount of days you go mad, etc......

I stayed awake for 4 days and a bit. Did have pharmecutical help and began halucinating really bad and thought comandos were camped outside in the garden in camoflage so much so that I got my sons toy gun and started pointing at 'them through the window. :eek: (This could have been really bad if it hadn't have been early in the morning and noone saw it and called the police.) My eyes felt like sandpaper, I had the shakes and to say I was paranoid is an understatement. NEVER AGAIN!!!! oooohhhh noooooo. Bad really bad.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've never skipped a nights sleep. Actually once I have come to think of it, we spent all night travellin to this desert place and once we were there it was about 4am. and we woke up at 6am for sunrise.
But soon as we woke up we went for a hike so it woke us up!

But otherwise if it gets past a certain time I'll stop workin and go to bed. I always put sleep first, or just make sure I have enough time to finish all work.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1 day (and a little bit).

Basically at school (I was at a boarding school) The OC was going round on MSN. We got the episodes the day after they aired in the US. But I didn't initially appreciate the greatness of the program. So a friend and I decided we should get cracking. We had both seen up to episode 10 but others had seen up to and including 23. It was the night before half term started. We sat down at 9pm and carried on watching 'til we reached episode 23 at around 5am the next day. At which point we went to play tennis (this was in the summer so it was light) and then we had a DMC (Deep Meaningful Conversation) about life, death and the universe... and The OC. Then breakfast and then played a bit of footie whilst waiting to be collected. I went to a party that evening but I didn't do an all-nighter and I fell asleep around 4am that day.

Sad? Yes, probably. Fun? Absolutely.

Was pretty knackered, but actually I felt suprisingly good during most of the day. It is a little bit like being tipsy really.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well Al (somehow) managed 13 days.... by which time he was hallucinating.....
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
your big sister is wrong i'm afraid (is she a medic at the university of holby city? ). there are lots of cases where people have stayed awake for more than 5 days, just looking at the guinness world records shows people who have managed over 260 hours. each person's physiology is different as well, so there's no solid rule that "a person can't survive for longer than x hours".

on a related note, i've not done any revision / work past 9pm - certainly not an all-nighter (if i've got lots of work that i haven't done in time i'll set my alarm to 5:30am and get up early *shudder*)
Heh, I always said she was wrong! I think she knows it's not true (well I hope so ) so I think she's saying it to test my will power to prove her wrong; that I will try it one day! We are quite competitive! She's a Cardiff medic by the way so not much better! (I'm not serious all you Cardiff people!)
matrixman397
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most for me is 2 days, done it a few times but it really does mess with your head. Not a nice feeling, although it was in aid of finishing coursework.

Speaking of which i think i might have a late night today, cos i got some to do for next week. :rolleyes:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heh, I always said she was wrong! I think she knows it's not true (well I hope so ) so I think she's saying it to test my will power to prove her wrong; that I will try it one day! We are quite competitive! She's a Cardiff medic by the way so not much better! (I'm not serious all you Cardiff people!)
i like cardiff medical school, but cardiff medics have their degree ceremony in welsh :eek:
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i like cardiff medical school, but cardiff medics have their degree ceremony in welsh :eek:
Really?! :eek: I know the majority of the students are Welsh, but still, there must be a high proportion who aren't, and I doubt most of the Welsh ones will understand it either! Seems a bit crazy to me, unless they have translators of course, would be a shame not to understand such a big day.
I know way too many Cardiff medics, I'm fairly certain they teach arrogance there along with everything else! (Still joking Cardiff people, just so happens all the Cardiff medics I know are big heads who aren't all they crack themselves up to be.)
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Really?! :eek: I know the majority of the students are Welsh, but still, there must be a high proportion who aren't, and I doubt most of the Welsh ones will understand it either! Seems a bit crazy to me, unless they have translators of course, would be a shame not to understand such a big day.
I know way too many Cardiff medics, I'm fairly certain they teach arrogance there along with everything else! (Still joking Cardiff people, just so happens all the Cardiff medics I know are big heads who aren't all they crack themselves up to be.)
where in wales are you from? *remembers recent "Mine All Mine" programme on ITV1*

and you're right, the cardiff medics i know are arrogant as well - it must be taught in a special module in the first year :eek:
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
where in wales are you from? *remembers recent "Mine All Mine" programme on ITV1*

and you're right, the cardiff medics i know are arrogant as well - it must be taught in a special module in the first year :eek:
Don't know the programme you speak of :confused: but then I don't really watch TV anymore. I'm from Torfaen/Gwent. Just moved house and prefer the new area , prettier but more run down.

Glad you agree 'bout the medics, people go on and on about Doctors needing confidence and all that but I think they take it a little too far in Cardiff!
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Well Al (somehow) managed 13 days.... by which time he was hallucinating.....
Are you mad? I swear the world record is only like 11 days! (Look at my time of post, another all nighter!)
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
It's been two nights no sleep....really tired....
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't cope even after a night of bad sleep let alone any longer! I'd probably end up attacking someone. Even if I had c/w due the next day that wasn't finished I wouldn't spend all night doing it. Not at all. Never. No Way!!!!
immortal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Party, party, party in the park. That was how I got no sleep. Although art and drama coursework was a ***** too.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (750)
80.3%
Leave (184)
19.7%

Watched Threads