sara.f05
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
would it be right to assume that this is a 3,4,5 triangle or is there a more logical approach?Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 8
Size:  65.2 KB
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sara.f05)
would it be right to assume that this is a 3,4,5 triangle or is there a more logical approach?Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 8
Size:  65.2 KB
Pythagoras. You'll need two right-angled triangles - can you see where?
sara.f05
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Pythagoras. You'll need two right-angled triangles - can you see where?
yes, i tried using pythagoras with lengths 5 squared - 3.5 squared but i had an incorrect answer. this is a non-calculator paper
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, i tired using pythagoras with lengths 5 squared - 3.5 squared but i had an incorrect answer. this is a non-calculator paper
Hint: The perpendicular distance from the centre to the top and bottom horizontal lines isn't the same.

You don't need a calculator. I did it without writing or drawing anything.
sara.f05
Rep:
?
Hint: The perpendicular distance from the centre to the top and bottom horizontal lines isn't the same.

You don't need a calculator. I did it without writing or drawing anything.
still a bit confused :confused:

update: i did 5 squared - 4 squared and got the correct answer, just not sure where the 4 came from as the top line and bottom line are not the same in length.
Last edited by sara.f05; 1 month ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
still a bit confused :confused:

update: i did 5 squared - 4 squared and got the correct answer, just not sure where the 4 came from as the top line and bottom line are not the same in length.
Draw a right-angled triangle with the centre, mid-point and one end of the top horizontal line. That's a 3, 4 (half the horizontal line's length), 5 (radius) triangle, so tells you that the centre is 3cm down from the top horizontal line. Therefore, it's 7-3=4cm up from the lower one. Now draw another right-angled triangle to calculate half the bottom horizontal line's length.
sara.f05
Rep:
?
Draw a right-angled triangle with the centre, mid-point and one end of the top horizontal line. That's a 3, 4 (half the horizontal line's length), 5 (radius) triangle, so tells you that the centre is 3cm down from the top horizontal line. Therefore, it's 7-3=4cm up from the lower one. Now draw another right-angled triangle to calculate half the bottom horizontal line's length.
thank you! i understand it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (901)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (398)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.42%

Watched Threads