The Student Room Group

I'm really good at maths but I am not apart of a maths degree

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I have a natural talent for maths. In the IB and GCSE I achieved top grades despite not really studying hard. I find maths exams enjoyable and I like problem-solving.

However, in my current degree, very little maths is used. I also can't change degree now. If I want to be involved in a career that involves maths in the future, is it even possible anymore? Are there any qualifications outside of university that I could take which could potentially allow me to take a quantitative masters or something?

Please let me know any of your thoughts. Thank you.
What degree are you studying? And is there any chance that you could do a double degree of sorts where maths is your 'minor' (I don't know if that's the official terminology).
Reply 2
Let me get this straight.

You enjoy maths, find it easy, get good grades, want a career related to that subject area and yet, you choose a degree that consists of very little to no maths?

I can't tell if you're trolling or just plain stupid.
Reply 3
You can do a Maths MSc, but be warned, undergraduate mathematics is very different to high school maths. At an undergraduate level, a significant number of problems will be focused on you proving things as well as the applied stuff (the latter of which is the focus of high school maths).
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
Let me get this straight.

You enjoy maths, find it easy, get good grades, want a career related to that subject area and yet, you choose a degree that consists of very little to no maths?

I can't tell if you're trolling or just plain stupid.

You don't have to be so harsh. The fact is, you don't know the details of my situation. You don't know me. How can you make these blanket judgements? I didn't have a clear idea of who I was or what I wanted when I chose my degree and, I have other interests besides maths. I enjoy my current degree too and I'm good at it. How is this meant to be a productive comment? How is this meant to help anything? You're just being an arse and trying to bring me down for no good reason. Gross.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Honestly just forget it. I'll figure it out myself.

Quick Reply

Latest