My uni doesn't allow transferring...please help

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi,
I dunno what should I do now. I can't transfer. Can't drop out. Can't reapply. I have no motivation to study my degree. Idon't have the money to study a new year again. I am so confused.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi,
I dunno what should I do now. I can't transfer. Can't drop out. Can't reapply. I have no motivation to study my degree. Idon't have the money to study a new year again. I am so confused.
Provide more detail about your situation, so people can assess it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Provide more detail about your situation, so people can assess it.
I am actually an international student. I didn't do well last year because it was overwhelming and I don't feel passionate about the chosen degree. I am currently at the beginning of the second year. I can't drop out because my family won't allow and I won't be getting anything better than staying with the degree. I can't apply for a new degree because I am financially dependent on my parents. Studying additional year will be a burden for them and I don't want that to happen. Unless I find a tuition-fees free or lower fees-paying university somewhere (not Uni of People). I will still need to find a part-time job to cover my living fees. I did find a more affordable university with the course I am interested in. The living fees in the city will, unfortunately, greater than the city I am staying. I have been trying to find a part-time or paid internships, but I can't seem to get one. I am doing an unpaid internship in marketing (unrelated to the degree) just to get experiences to write for the CV.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I am actually an international student. I didn't do well last year because it was overwhelming and I don't feel passionate about the chosen degree. I am currently at the beginning of the second year. I can't drop out because my family won't allow and I won't be getting anything better than staying with the degree. I can't apply for a new degree because I am financially dependent on my parents. Studying additional year will be a burden for them and I don't want that to happen. Unless I find a tuition-fees free or lower fees-paying university somewhere (not Uni of People). I will still need to find a part-time job to cover my living fees. I did find a more affordable university with the course I am interested in. The living fees in the city will, unfortunately, greater than the city I am staying. I have been trying to find a part-time or paid internships, but I can't seem to get one. I am doing an unpaid internship in marketing (unrelated to the degree) just to get experiences to write for the CV.
Sorry the fact your parents are financing it changes things.
You wont find a tution free and unlikely to find one that charges much less. You also have the liability for this years course as you have started it.
I am assuming international as non EU?

What are you studying?
What did you want to study?
What career do you want?

Your best bet from what I can see is to be really determined to leave with a good degree class. You dont have the luxury of not being motivated, that is up to you.
Anonymous #1
You wont find a tution free and unlikely to find one that charges much less. You also have the liability for this years course as you have started it.

What are you studying?
What career do you want?

Your best bet from what I can see is to be really determined to leave with a good degree class. You dont have the luxury of not being motivated, that is up to you.
Yea, non-EU. I am studying a bachelor's degree in genetics. I want to study economics with finance. I just realise that is what I want recently. My ideal career path would be either a sustainability analyst or an equity researcher. I am planning to either do a Master in economics (with or without finance) or go for a certificate in finance instead. I understand I don't have the luxury of not being motivated. It has always been that way.
Anonymous #1

What are you studying?
What career do you want?

Actually, I have found a few with lower tuition fees or completely free in other countries. It's just about finding a part-time to cover the living cost and different entry requirement.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
No university would allow you to transfer anyway from genetics to econ, you would have to start again in first year since the courses are completely different
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Yea, non-EU. I am studying a bachelor's degree in genetics. I want to study economics with finance. I just realise that is what I want recently. My ideal career path would be either a sustainability analyst or an equity researcher. I am planning to either do a Master in economics (with or without finance) or go for a certificate in finance instead. I understand I don't have the luxury of not being motivated. It has always been that way.
Are you at a decent uni?
Its unfortunate you returned this year i.e starting year 2.
Have you done economics before?

If you get a good degree then you could just try and get on a grad scheme?
This is why doing the research is worth thousands.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Also you dont need a economics or finance degree to be a sustainability analyst or an equity researcher, if you carried out your genetics degree then you can apply to internships and graduate roles in these fields anyway
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Actually, I have found a few with lower tuition fees or completely free in other countries. It's just about finding a part-time to cover the living cost and different entry requirement.
I was talking about the UK
As I am missing about 85% of relevant information then I will take your word for it.
Funnily enough I wasnt looking at econmics courses in other countries.

If you have found free degrees elsewhere then convince your parents to give you some seed money so you can get a job and then they can pay less to leave you up to your own devices.
Anonymous #1
Are you at a decent uni?
Its unfortunate you returned this year i.e starting year 2.
Have you done economics before?

If you get a good degree then you could just try and get on a grad scheme?
This is why doing the research is worth thousands.
I am studying oxford and yea I did economics during IB. I'm just afraid I won't be getting enough grade for the grad scheme. Thanks for taking your time to reply. I feel better than yesterday now. I will try my best.
Anonymous #1
Also you dont need a economics or finance degree to be a sustainability analyst or an equity researcher, if you carried out your genetics degree then you can apply to internships and graduate roles in these fields anyway
Yea but I was just afraid of poor performance on my grade due to lack of motivation in forcing myself to do a degree. I'm feeling better now. Thank you for answering
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am studying oxford and yea I did economics during IB. I'm just afraid I won't be getting enough grade for the grad scheme. Thanks for taking your time to reply. I feel better than yesterday now. I will try my best.
Oxford Brookes? Oxford doesn't offer a "bachelor's degree in genetics".
Yea but I was just afraid of poor performance on my grade due to lack of motivation in forcing myself to do a degree. I'm feeling better now. Thank you for answering
Glad that you're feeling better. COVID restrictions make everything harder. try to take time to get out - I really enjoy just walking around Oxford and its green spaces. Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I am glad you are feeling better. Talk on the Oxbridge thread about how other people cope.
It isnt just you, but people adjust.

If you are realistic and its not for you plus your grades are going to be so poor, then leave due to health reasons cv19 and transfer or reapply for a uni lower down the food chain where you dont have the same stresses but are in a target/ semi target. Take your mh very seriously and make a list of things to do that are beneficial. Exercise, some social contact, feel good things. If you can hang on and pull a decent grade out, then its worth staying. All things being equal it will help you a lot more if you can get the grade, but if not I would rather have the grade from a different uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.19%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.48%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.38%

Watched Threads