Online courses?
Videos on YouTube about law?

Areas of Law I'm interested in:
- Criminal
- International
- Human Rights
- Family
- Commercial (in relation to Tech)

I'm a CompSci student at University, but I have a wide range of hobbies & subjects I enjoy learning about in my spare time

Thank you.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
what is it that you want to learn about these subjects? you want to learn what the law is? academic law? how law works in real life for solicitor/barristers and clients? the philosophy or politics of law? history or current events?

just asking cuz i could direct you to sources but it may not be what you mean when you say learning about law
Panicroom779
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
what is it that you want to learn about these subjects? you want to learn what the law is? academic law? how law works in real life for solicitor/barristers and clients? the philosophy or politics of law? history or current events?

just asking cuz i could direct you to sources but it may not be what you mean when you say learning about law
Hi,

I'd like to know more about specific cases, how the law works for lawyers & clients, the history of certain popular cases & even some current events if possible.

Learning about different laws would also be interesting.

I'd like some recommendations for books too please, & documentaries.
Ivartheboneless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do an a level and get something out of it. You could look at controversial subjects like wikileaks and Julian assange in current affairs to develop your opinion of law and process, which makes a great interesting topic.

When I tried to take my employer to a tribunal I found out that open hearings can be visited by the public unless requested as private, so you could look at attending one. I also started finding legislation on parliament website and ACAS as the process is very interesting. You can get lots of guides online by looking up equality act 2010 etc and forms used in a process. Gives you a great introduction to law and how it can be very unfair with time constraints and getting legal support and how it is followed implicitly and can be used against a claimant.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I wouldnt bother with an A level as you should focus on your degree.

Depends how far your interest lies. There are plenty of books about law Secret barrister if you want annecdotal or Phil Harris introduction to Law if you want overview of each area in chapters.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introductio...3444911&sr=8-1
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Panicroom779)
Hi,

I'd like to know more about specific cases, how the law works for lawyers & clients, the history of certain popular cases & even some current events if possible.

Learning about different laws would also be interesting.

I'd like some recommendations for books too please, & documentaries.
okay gotcha. since you have access to an online university library i’m assuming you have access to a legal research database called Westlaw. login to that; it has everything including legislation, case law, journal articles and current awareness. on the first page you can Browse by Topic which gives you an overview of said topic including important case law, legislation, etc.

you might have access to electronic versions of LPC textbooks to teach you how law works for solicitors and clients thro the uni library but they will be extremely boring to you

you’re not going to learn law thro a documentary or a YouTube video but you might find some entertainment or thought provoking. only documentary i’ve seen that i can recall atm is RBG (which was good). Michael Sandel lectures on YouTube are good too (Harvard professor).
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seriously why don't you research law courses? Good luck.
Panicroom779
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
okay gotcha. since you have access to an online university library i’m assuming you have access to a legal research database called Westlaw. login to that; it has everything including legislation, case law, journal articles and current awareness. on the first page you can Browse by Topic which gives you an overview of said topic including important case law, legislation, etc.

you might have access to electronic versions of LPC textbooks to teach you how law works for solicitors and clients thro the uni library but they will be extremely boring to you

you’re not going to learn law thro a documentary or a YouTube video but you might find some entertainment or thought provoking. only documentary i’ve seen that i can recall atm is RBG (which was good). Michael Sandel lectures on YouTube are good too (Harvard professor).
I don't do law, will I still have access to these law databases? We do have an online library I think.

I'll check out Westlaw. Do I sign in with my university details?

Thank you for the recommendations
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, here are some books I think you might find interesting: Is Eating People Wrong (Hutchinson), What About Law (Virgo, O’Sullivan, Barnard). These include not only an accessible yet intellectually stimulating introduction to law, but will also give you some cases of interest.
If you want to be able to access full cases, perhaps take a look on bailii.org.
The blog public law for everyone might also be of interest to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (119)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (123)
29.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed