Is 200words too much on A level subjects on personal statement?

Watch
ZS159
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On my draft around 200 words are dedicated to my A level subjects which have helped me with my degree which is Law. I have mentioned extra circular activities, and other outside work I have done to assist me with my degree such as work experience, and other activities. My A level subjects part is really detailed and I have gone into somewhat specifics to start a deep discussion on Law and it’s link with my subjects. Since I have studied these subjects for two years I imagine you would have to dedicate a significant portion of your statement to them, some people only have around 50 or 100 words on their subjects but I have 200. Is this too much? Should I save the words for other things such as more work I have done that has assisted me for law?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZS159)
On my draft around 200 words are dedicated to my A level subjects which have helped me with my degree which is Law. I have mentioned extra circular activities, and other outside work I have done to assist me with my degree such as work experience, and other activities. My A level subjects part is really detailed and I have gone into somewhat specifics to start a deep discussion on Law and it’s link with my subjects. Since I have studied these subjects for two years I imagine you would have to dedicate a significant portion of your statement to them, some people only have around 50 or 100 words on their subjects but I have 200. Is this too much? Should I save the words for other things such as more work I have done that has assisted me for law?
Hey ZS159!

I personally think that that would be fine.
When I did my personal statement for pharmacy I did a paragraph on my A-level subjects and how they tie in with Pharmacy, it was around 100 words.
I did a long sentence for each and spoke about something particular I had learned and how it would help me on the MPharm course.

My largest paragraph was on experience I had got prior to university including recent articles that I had read.

The best thing to do is make yourself sound really interested in law and emphasise why you would be a good fit on the course.
If you can do that through talking about your subjects then thats good!

I would personally ask a teacher/advisor at 6th form/college what they think of your personal statement so far and they will be able to give you some specific pointers

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
ZS159
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey ZS159!

I personally think that that would be fine.
When I did my personal statement for pharmacy I did a paragraph on my A-level subjects and how they tie in with Pharmacy, it was around 100 words.
I did a long sentence for each and spoke about something particular I had learned and how it would help me on the MPharm course.

My largest paragraph was on experience I had got prior to university including recent articles that I had read.

The best thing to do is make yourself sound really interested in law and emphasise why you would be a good fit on the course.
If you can do that through talking about your subjects then thats good!

I would personally ask a teacher/advisor at 6th form/college what they think of your personal statement so far and they will be able to give you some specific pointers

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thank you so much, I have more confidence on this now. I’ll definitely check with a tutor too 😁
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZS159)
Thank you so much, I have more confidence on this now. I’ll definitely check with a tutor too 😁
You don't need to talk about your A Levels at all - the admissions tutors will know the basics of what is covered and the skills gained, so it is a waste of space. You would be better off focusing on things you have done outside of your A Levels that show your interest in the course, as that would be more unique to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads