bfg2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone, this is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong category.

I'm currently studying Psychology, I am three weeks into my first year. I'm unsure whether the course is right for me, since I'm struggling on the first essay. I'm considering going to a different university to study English instead, however I'm unsure if this is the right thing to do.

Firstly, this is only the first essay, so it will be new to me. If I switch courses, I won't be giving myself a chance to improve. Secondly, if I do switch courses, I'm afraid I will be too behind at this point, even though I do have prior knowledge of English terminology. Thirdly, with everything being online now, it is more difficult and not what I expected, and also I've had a six month break from education since the college course I was doing before entering uni was cut short due to the pandemic.

However, at the back of my mind, I'm thinking, what if I keep on struggling? As of right now, I have the idea of sticking at Psychology for the first year, and if it doesn't work out, I switch to English. I'm just unsure of what would be best and would appreciate any advice.

EDIT: I'm studying in Wales, forgot to mention!
Last edited by bfg2001; 4 weeks ago
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I want to preface this by saying that I’m in Year 13 so perhaps not knowledgeable on the process here, but I was drawn to your post because I also changed my mind from psychology to English last month, and had to redo all my UCAS stuff lol.

I think you’re right that this may be a hasty decision. Most people struggle in the transition to university from what I’ve heard, so I’d give yourself time to settle in if psychology is what you’d prefer to be doing. Like you say, this year has been especially strange for education, and so it may just be you need to settle in to the academic environment again.

If your university has staff members you feel you can speak to then I’d recommend having this discussion with them as they can you tell more about your performance. The English faculty for instance would probably know how difficult it will be to catch up.

Personally I’d be tempted to stick with it if this essay is the only thing worrying you. It’s a bit of a blip, but I doubt it’s unsalvageable. There may be no need for all the hassle of changing courses just because of this. You’ve got to trust your instinct and not your panic. However, if you’ve decided that you genuinely prefer English and that the course would help your career prospects more, then maybe it’s something to consider seriously.

I wish you the best of luck!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dont switch Unis quite yet.

Email, or go and see, your tutor and explain that you are struggling a bit.
They will help you with essay techniques and a bit of reassurance,
Its very common to feel its all a bit beyond you at the earliest stages of a degree, but stick at it and you will get on top of it.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Give yourself time to adjust to the new studying level and environment. It's difficult to foresee whether you'll struggle later or not in the few months. It's probably best to give it the year, and then decide what you want to do from then on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed