The Student Room Group

which are the best unis for film ????

i have to give in my ucas stuff tmrw and i just wanna make sure i’m making the right decisions
Film studies or film production?
Original post by ageshallnot
Film studies or film production?

film production
Original post by cryingchild
film production

I will try to bring in @PQ, who knows a lot about the subject.
I heard Birmingham city university was good for that but I have no knowledge
In no particular order : Bournemouth, York, Surrey, Nottingham Trent, Falmouth

You'll have to decide which course is 'best' for you, your interests and your grade predictions - no-one else can do this for you.
film production

CILECT members https://www.cilect.org/profiles/members/235/4#.X5G0JWhKhhE <- these are internationally accredited film schools in the UK. They're the courses with industry standard equipment and industry practitioners teaching the courses. There are some good courses outside this list but you'll need to do your own research into the equipment you'll be trained on and levels of practical teaching on the course. Quite a lot of these film schools only offer postgraduate and professional training but many offer undergraduate training.

(note it's AUB not Bournemouth University that houses Bournemouth Film School - the BU Film course has only been running for 4 years).
Original post by PQ
CILECT members https://www.cilect.org/profiles/members/235/4#.X5G0JWhKhhE <- these are internationally accredited film schools in the UK. They're the courses with industry standard equipment and industry practitioners teaching the courses. There are some good courses outside this list but you'll need to do your own research into the equipment you'll be trained on and levels of practical teaching on the course. Quite a lot of these film schools only offer postgraduate and professional training but many offer undergraduate training.

(note it's AUB not Bournemouth University that houses Bournemouth Film School - the BU Film course has only been running for 4 years).

can i ask what equipment is usually industry standard equipment ???
can i ask what equipment is usually industry standard equipment ???

Arri Alexa cameras and equivalents with equivalent quality lenses (zeiss etc), Avid editing suites/software - I don't know much about the industry standards for lighting and sound but it's generally not a secret - film makers love to talk technical. Access to dedicated studios as well as opportunities for location filming. Technicians and support in designing and building film sets (some film schools will have courses in production design, costume and makeup which make this support better) and actual BUDGETS to fund film production - including a budget to employ paid actors and not exploiting other students. Ideally a course should also include opportunities and support to raise funds for films (usually in final year) and to crew on films for other years (and to have crews for your films from other years).
Ask to see grad films from previous years too to understand the range of film making supported.
i have to give in my ucas stuff tmrw and i just wanna make sure i’m making the right decisions

Depends on whether you want a solely practical course or an academic with some practical course.
Original post by student424
Depends on whether you want a solely practical course or an academic with some practical course.

mainly practical but the unis i’ve chosen are ual, aub, mmu, solent and hertfordshire
mainly practical but the unis i’ve chosen are ual, aub, mmu, solent and hertfordshire

Hi @cryingchild,

That’s great you have applied to study at Solent, this must be such an exciting time for you!
I have a few friends who do film related courses, and it looks great, they get to do a lot of hands-on tasks using facilities such as the green screens at the university. I’m sure you’ve already looked at the course in detail on Solent’s website, but if you have any further queries or if you have any questions about the course, please let me know and I can get in contact with a Film Production lecturer for you.

In addition, if you have any questions about general student life and studying/ living in Southampton, please let me know and I’ll be happy to help :smile:

Best wishes for the rest of your studies at school or college and for the rest of your UCAS application.

Eloise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending