_Jss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m 17F and don’t really have any career aspirations. I know I want to do something creative and have thought about doing either a Fine art degree or doing an apprenticeship. I initially thought I might do a woodworking apprenticeship but I did an EPQ in woodworking and realised that I don’t want to do that as a job. I’ve thought about going into makeup fx and tattooing, and after thinking about it I prefer drawing and coming up with designs instead of makeup so I thought it might be a good idea to do a tattooing apprenticeship.
Since I don’t have any aspirations I was just going to apply to uni for fine art and see where that leads, but all my friends and my family have said that I’d make a good tattooist so I’ve thought about taking a gap year and doing an apprenticeship in that time (I’ll be 18 then) and if it’s not for me then I’ll go and do fine art at uni.
Is this a good idea? Would I be accepted into an apprenticeship having no previous experience with tattoos?
I’m also fairly nervous around people and antisocial which I know is a key element to the job, but I’m not sure if I would or wouldn’t like it as I’ve had no experience, I just don’t know if they’ll take me on, especially since some apprenticeships will last longer than a year? And would it be any more difficult to get into uni afterwards compared to having not taken a gap year?
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Jss)
So I’m 17F and don’t really have any career aspirations. I know I want to do something creative and have thought about doing either a Fine art degree or doing an apprenticeship. I initially thought I might do a woodworking apprenticeship but I did an EPQ in woodworking and realised that I don’t want to do that as a job. I’ve thought about going into makeup fx and tattooing, and after thinking about it I prefer drawing and coming up with designs instead of makeup so I thought it might be a good idea to do a tattooing apprenticeship.
Since I don’t have any aspirations I was just going to apply to uni for fine art and see where that leads, but all my friends and my family have said that I’d make a good tattooist so I’ve thought about taking a gap year and doing an apprenticeship in that time (I’ll be 18 then) and if it’s not for me then I’ll go and do fine art at uni.
Is this a good idea? Would I be accepted into an apprenticeship having no previous experience with tattoos?
I’m also fairly nervous around people and antisocial which I know is a key element to the job, but I’m not sure if I would or wouldn’t like it as I’ve had no experience, I just don’t know if they’ll take me on, especially since some apprenticeships will last longer than a year? And would it be any more difficult to get into uni afterwards compared to having not taken a gap year?
Hi there It sounds like you've given this a fair bit of thought. Are there any tattooists near you that may be prepared to give you some work experience? I think that'd be the best way to understand if it's something you'd like to pursue and it could lead to opportunities of an apprenticeship if they have vacancies and you make a good impression.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to arrange given the current circumstances though.

As for your other queries regarding an apprenticeship lasting more than a year, I'd say most do, but again, it'll vary between employers and if you're hoping to achieve sufficient qualifications to go on to university (which should be possible), it's more likely that it'll be more than a year. The best thing to do is take a look at apprenticeship vacancies and get a feel for what they offer and what they expect.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
shahbaaz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do whatever makes you feel happy but always have a backup plan something to fall back on if things dont work out the way you want them to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads