Labradoodle1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is A-Level Politics a good choice? I plan to take it alongside A-Level Maths, Economics and Further Maths.
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will make a nice mix - do you know what kind of course/ apprenticeship etc you'd like to go on and study?
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by OCorOOC6337)
It will make a nice mix - do you know what kind of course/ apprenticeship etc you'd like to go on and study?
I'd ideally like to aim for a highly selective uni, probably studying something like Economics but I'm really not sure yet.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you want to do a fourth A level?

(I was imagining the kind of questions in two years time, such as on the handling of the pandemic, or the arguments for and against the Brexit trade deal).
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Do you want to do a fourth A level?

(I was imagining the kind of questions in two years time, such as on the handling of the pandemic, or the arguments for and against the Brexit trade deal).
Yeah, although I am aware of A-Levels being much more content heavy than GCSEs, I think it would be best for me to do four as I think politics would really interest me. Also, I may do an EPQ as well but I'm not sure yet.
stillcrying
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A levels are VERY content heavy, and universities won't require you to study 4 subjects. Most people end up dropping one after a year due to the workload. I'd suggest just taking an EPQ (worth half an A-level, you could focus this on a politics topic that interests you) rather than A-level politics AND an EPQ. If you want to get into a highly selective university, you will require high grades and it's better maximising those grades in 3 subjects rather than lowering them with 4. I'm just adding my opinion here, it is of course your choice.
Last edited by stillcrying; 1 month ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Politics is a good, solid, 'essay based subject' that will go well with Economics.
As above - dont do 4 A levels - AAA will always look better than ABBB.
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by stillcrying)
A levels are very content heavy, and universities won't require you to study 4 subjects. Most people end up dropping one after a year due to the workload. I'd suggest just taking an EPQ (worth half an a-level, you could focus this on a politics topic that interests you) rather than A-level politics *and* an EPQ as if you want to get into a highly selective university, you will require high grades and it's better maximising those grades in 3 subjects rather than lowering them with 4. I'm just adding my opinion here, it is of course your choice.
Hi, thanks for your input! If I'm being honest, my grades aren't my concern (I'm quite disciplined when it comes to studying and I'm predicted very high grades), but what I am slightly concerned about is extracurriculars (because I literally have no extracurriculars :c).
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Labradoodle1)
but what I am slightly concerned about is extracurriculars (because I literally have no extracurriculars :c).
Dont worry - if you are applying for Economics at RG Unis or Oxbridge they wont care.
They just want to know about why Economics and what about it really fascinates you.
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Politics is a good, solid, 'essay based subject' that will go well with Economics.
As above - dont do 4 A levels - AAA will always look better than ABBB.
Thanks for your input! I have a question though - if I'm slightly unsure what I want to do later on would it not be ideal to keep my options more flexible?
SchmuckOff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 a levels will crush you

I did 5 , dropped to 4 and want to drop to 3

3 a levels is the best choice you'll ever make , trust me.

Don't screw it up
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
Dont worry - if you are applying for Economics at RG Unis or Oxbridge they wont care.
They just want to know about why Economics and what about it really fascinates you.
Oh, that's interesting (I'm not 100% sure I'll do Economics by the way, it's just that it seems highly likely). If you don't mind me asking, how will I show my fascination?
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by SchmuckOff)
4 a levels will crush you

I did 5 , dropped to 4 and want to drop to 3

3 a levels is the best choice you'll ever make , trust me.

Don't screw it up
Damn, I'm surprised your college even lets you do 5.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Literally, no reason to do 4 A levels. Universities won't find it impressive and they'll just ignore anything more than 3.

Doing Politics also won't really add to your options considering there's not a single degree that requires A level Politics.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Labradoodle1)
Thanks for your input! I have a question though - if I'm slightly unsure what I want to do later on would it not be ideal to keep my options more flexible?
Maths and two good social sciences will leave your options wide open.
Those subjects would lead you into, amongst others, Politics/International Relations, Law, International Development, Sociology, Social Policy, Maths, Statistics, Finance, Economics, PPE, Philosophy, Psychology. Etc, etc. And all of those degrees could lead you into a hundred different directions.
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
Maths and two good social sciences will leave your options wide open.
Those subjects would lead you into, amongst others, Politics/International Relations, Law, International Development, Sociology, Social Policy, Maths, Statistics, Finance, Economics, PPE, Philosophy, Psychology. Etc, etc. And all of those degrees could lead you into a hundred different directions.
Oh, that's so cool! The thing is, I really enjoy Maths and it comes quite naturally to me (I do very minimal revision for it and have little difficulty understanding complex mathematical concepts), but I would also want something that has the potential to make a difference, so yeah, the half maths, half social sciences combination is probably ideal for me.
Last edited by Labradoodle1; 1 month ago
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve heard if you don’t already have a genuine interest and appreciation of politics then you will not enjoy it
Labradoodle1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Panjsuce)
I’ve heard if you don’t already have a genuine interest and appreciation of politics then you will not enjoy it
I already do have an interest in politics and try my best to stay up to date with major political affairs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.34%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.23%

Watched Threads