NOTES and FLASHCARDS

Watch
Ileenileen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For around 2 months and 17 days, I have been writing notes for biology and chemistry igcse. My purpose was to organize the knowledge (to somehow aid understanding) but for bio I think i wrote too much detail. I was wondering: Do you think I’ve wasted time in those 2 months 17 days?

But now I am switching to flashcards purely and doing practice questions( I have 2 months left until my exams). Also, Do you think I have enough time to make these flashcards?

Thank you.

username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should just start doing the flashcards instead of making posts about it
Fermicide
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
2 months should be more than enough to go through the topics.

It might be worth trying a digital flashcard solution like Anki(https://apps.ankiweb.net/) which has inbuilt spaced repetition and more advanced card types than your typical front-back flashcards. Typically is also typically a lot faster, and you can include images/diagrams which could be very useful, especially for biology.

Either way, start as soon as you can and keep a regular schedule to make sure you get through all the content you need to by the time exams come around.
tsrstudent05desc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the post above. I no longer make notes or physical flashcards but use anki or quizlet. Instead of writing key info as statements, i write them as questions.
This helps to draw the info from long term memory as before hand i usually watch videos to make these questions on gcsepod or with freesciencelessons on youtube.
I make these questions into quizlet set and constantly test myself using these and with practice paper questions from online or using seneca’s end of topic questions.

This might still seem quite long but overall has been a faster alternative and has helped to retain knowledge better.
(this is part of the active recall method)

Hopefully this may help?!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ileenileen)
For around 2 months and 17 days, I have been writing notes for biology and chemistry igcse. My purpose was to organize the knowledge (to somehow aid understanding) but for bio I think i wrote too much detail. I was wondering: Do you think I’ve wasted time in those 2 months 17 days?

But now I am switching to flashcards purely and doing practice questions( I have 2 months left until my exams). Also, Do you think I have enough time to make these flashcards?

Thank you.
Hey Ileenileen!

I used flash cards for my biology exams - the more effective thing for me was physically writing them out
And then rewriting the content over and over until I knew it nearer to the exam time

So you definitely have time!
And don’t feel like you have wasted your time because it will all come back to you when you revisit topics

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely do not rewrite content, you’ll waste so much time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads