The Student Room Group

When to prepare for UKAT

i’m currently in y12 wanting to do dentistry and was wondering when to start preparing for the UKAT. i have a feeling i’ll find it really hard so i’m anxious on when to start.
UCAT*

There’s no fixed time frame for when people should start practicing the UCAT.
Most people start 4-6 weeks before their exam, some even start 2 months prior but I personally think that’s excessive and unnecessary. I started 2 weeks before my exam.
Reply 2
Original post by chanyeol101
i’m currently in y12 wanting to do dentistry and was wondering when to start preparing for the UKAT. i have a feeling i’ll find it really hard so i’m anxious on when to start.

You can give yourself enough breathing space to do very well if you go for the 4-6 week window imo. If you want to start earlier, I advise you get the UCAT out of the way by booking your test earlier in the process next year. I went for just under 6 weeks and got 2880 but my prep was excessive and almost led me to burn-out.
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
UCAT*

There’s no fixed time frame for when people should start practicing the UCAT.
Most people start 4-6 weeks before their exam, some even start 2 months prior but I personally think that’s excessive and unnecessary. I started 2 weeks before my exam.

how did you find it, did it get easier with practise

Can’t lie I’m a bit of a UCAT pro,
Got 760 band 2 in 2019
Got 805 band 1 in 2020

I say do around 7 weeks of revision, try to arrange a date in august and avoid doing it in September. I say start revising in July and aim to do the exam end of August.

This is my timetable use it if you’d like

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12S9-Kx7W9ZywLxwo6SbYsgf0TWe8NsUmSXiK8ZRSgLk/edit
Reply 5
Original post by Da14a
You can give yourself enough breathing space to do very well if you go for the 4-6 week window imo. If you want to start earlier, I advise you get the UCAT out of the way by booking your test earlier in the process next year. I went for just under 6 weeks and got 2880 but my prep was excessive and almost led me to burn-out.

is it a very hard test or just something that requires practise to do well
how did you find it, did it get easier with practise

Some components yes, but the UCAT is an unpredictable exam - therefore longer time spent on revision does not necessarily equate to a better score.

Original post by Uzair63
Got 760 band 2 in 2019
Got 805 band 1 in 2020

I say do around 7 weeks of revision, try to arrange a date in august and avoid doing it in September. I say start revising in July and aim to do the exam end of August.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12S9-Kx7W9ZywLxwo6SbYsgf0TWe8NsUmSXiK8ZRSgLk/edit

Can I ask why you’d advise avoiding September?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Can I ask why you’d advise avoiding September?

I just think it’s best to get it done prior to school starting, medicine/dentistry has so many hoops to jump through it’s best to jump through each hoop without overlap i.e get your UCAT done before writing your PS and doing UCAS
Original post by Uzair63
I just think it’s best to get it done prior to school starting, medicine/dentistry has so many hoops to jump through it’s best to jump through each hoop without overlap i.e get your UCAT done before writing your PS and doing UCAS

Interesting, I see where you’re coming from.
Reply 9
is it a very hard test or just something that requires practise to do well

@Uzair63 has some great advice for you in terms of timing (a score of 3040 on his first attempt is easily top 5 percent).
The difficulty of the UCAT varies a bit with how 'natural' a certain section comes to someone but I highly advise you to not be anxious at this point in time - I say this from experience because I was worried about how people said this test was insanely hard and if you fail it, your out of hope for Medicine/Dentistry at most unis.

However, at this point, the UCAT should not be on your priority list and I can (almost) guarantee you that with sufficient practice that is aimed at your weak areas and proper time management, you will achieve a score that gets you at the very least past the cut-offs, much more likely in the top 20 percent.
Original post by Uzair63
Got 760 band 2 in 2019
Got 805 band 1 in 2020

thank you so much i will defo use the timetable 😊
Original post by Da14a
@Uzair63 has some great advice for you in terms of timing (a score of 3040 on his first attempt is easily top 5 percent).
The difficulty of the UCAT varies a bit with how 'natural' a certain section comes to someone but I highly advise you to not be anxious at this point in time - I say this from experience because I was worried about how people said this test was insanely hard and if you fail it, your out of hope for Medicine/Dentistry at most unis.

However, at this point, the UCAT should not be on your priority list and I can (almost) guarantee you that with sufficient practice that is aimed at your weak areas and proper time management, you will achieve a score that gets you at the very least past the cut-offs, much more likely in the top 20 percent.

thank you for the tips, i’ll make sure to work on the parts i find hard a lot

Quick Reply

Latest