haera
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I've just started Alevel maths.

I have alot of weakness a major being the exam questions not worded straight forwardly. When I do practice in textbooks, it is very straightforward such as 'find the discriminant'. Yet in the exam questions it uses vocabulary that I struggle with and isn't worded straight forwardly.

Another weakness is that I don't have the skill of linking them. For example. when it states two equations and asks the coordinate of one of the equations, it's just simultaneous equation. I don't know that it's simultaneous equation since I can't link it/figure it. Plus, I don't really understand maths deeper than solving a normal problem.

Any ways to solve this?
Last edited by haera; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you been tested for dyscalculia? Flashcards help me.
haera
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Have you been tested for dyscalculia? Flashcards help me.
No, not really.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try and associate "things that you have to do" with particular methods. Exam questions won't just say "find the discriminant", but if you do a bunch of questions then you'll start to notice that whenever exam questions ask you to show that an equation doesn't have any real roots (or one, or two) or show that two curves never intersect, those questions tend to require use of the discriminant.

Similarly for simultaneous equations, if there's any situation where you need to find a point of intersection of two curves, or you have two unknowns with two equations, then you need to recognise that those are the situations where you apply this method.
haera
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenCub)
Try and associate "things that you have to do" with particular methods. Exam questions won't just say "find the discriminant", but if you do a bunch of questions then you'll start to notice that whenever exam questions ask you to show that an equation doesn't have any real roots (or one, or two) or show that two curves never intersect, those questions tend to require use of the discriminant.

Similarly for simultaneous equations, if there's any situation where you need to find a point of intersection of two curves, or you have two unknowns with two equations, then you need to recognise that those are the situations where you apply this method.
Alright I'll try the method you said. As for simultaneous equations I said it for an example, I don't struggle with it. I just wanted to state the point that I can't link the topics. If you get what I'm saying.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by haera)
Alright I'll try the method you said. As for simultaneous equations I said it for an example, I don't struggle with it. I just wanted to state the point that I can't link the topics. If you get what I'm saying.
Yeah, just look at a bunch of exam-style questions and try to spot the methods that you'd use - maybe just write down the method you'd use to solve it as opposed to doing the whole question just to get used to identifying the approach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.28%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.2%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.43%

Watched Threads