toomey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I initially applied for Magdalen college at Oxford for music, but was discouraged from my UCAS tutor at school as she said 'I was not good enough'. I brought this up with my music teacher, and she disagreed with the UCAS tutor. For further context, I am an experienced performer, being a member of the NYO, and I am also a passionate composer, which is the field I would like to go into in the future.

The UCAS tutor mentioned that no one at school was applying to St Hilda's and suggested that I applied there instead, although there was little room for choice anyway due to her unkind nature.

Over the past few weeks, I have been reconsidering my choices and I am unsure whether St Hilda's is a suitable college for me. Having looked at other colleges, I realise that Christ Church has many qualities which appeal to me. With the UCAS deadline passed, I had wanted to change my college choice via https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cation-changes but asked for my UCAS tutor's advice (out of respect), before filling in the form. However, before she could reply, the deadline for this form has passed and I am unsure on what to do now.

I will be happy to go to Hilda's if all goes well, but if there is an opportunity for me to change college once more, then I would really like to take it on. My friends say I should call the admissions team tomorrow morning, but I am unsure if there is any point to this.

Thanks
Coppal Copplar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have no idea, sorry man but I really feel for you.

Im applying for History and Politics at Jesus.

All the best in your application...maybe I will see you there so day
EmeraldIsla
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What did you decide to do? If it's any consolation within a couple of weeks everyone loves their college and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There is also a lot of reallocation both pre and post interview so there's no guarantee that you would get St Hilda's ( or Magdalen). I think the only lesson here is do not believe people when they try to undervalue you. Maybe be a little bit fatalistic- you will end up in the right place for you.
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
if it’s any help, i’ve spoken to someone at st hilda’s and she says that everyone likes it!! it’s a nice college with a nice vibe and what ever
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
St.Hildas is just across the road from Magdalen so you will be able to cycle past it everyday and see its lovely tower from the outside. Enjoy!
elilast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OK so I thought I'd replied to this thread already but anyway... If you've stuck with St Hilda's, I'm sorry it's not what you wanted but just to encourage you, St Hilda's is a lovely college too, and yes we're right across the road from Magdalen. I'd say we generally have quite a chill vibe, I don't want to speak for all the students but I do think there's a nice mix of different people and we all get along pretty well. It's beautiful by the river too, and the students I know studying music here love it so far! (Not sponsored lol, just hoping to reassure you that St Hilda's is definitely not a terrible college if you do get an offer from here.)
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elilast)
OK so I thought I'd replied to this thread already but anyway... If you've stuck with St Hilda's, I'm sorry it's not what you wanted but just to encourage you, St Hilda's is a lovely college too, and yes we're right across the road from Magdalen. I'd say we generally have quite a chill vibe, I don't want to speak for all the students but I do think there's a nice mix of different people and we all get along pretty well. It's beautiful by the river too, and the students I know studying music here love it so far! (Not sponsored lol, just hoping to reassure you that St Hilda's is definitely not a terrible college if you do get an offer from here.)
i’m thinking of reapplying to oxford and potentially st hilda’s - what’s the accomodation like?
elilast
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azby1098)
i’m thinking of reapplying to oxford and potentially st hilda’s - what’s the accomodation like?
So at the moment there isn't accommodation for all years which is a bit annoying This year they're due to finish a new building which will mean that by the time you'd be there, all 1st and 3rd years and about half of 2nd years will live in. (Renting privately in Oxford is generally quite expensive and lots of people do have housing issues, though others do enjoy it!)

The accommodation is pretty nice, honestly the buildings are quite new so I'd say they're just kind of like a standard fairly spacious student room? Most people living in college have a nice view out onto the lawn/river which is pretty. The only thing I'd mention is that in 1st year, a lot of students are in Garden building which only has small kitchens and only has a microwave and toaster, no hob which is annoying if you want to cook. Hope that helps?!
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elilast)
So at the moment there isn't accommodation for all years which is a bit annoying This year they're due to finish a new building which will mean that by the time you'd be there, all 1st and 3rd years and about half of 2nd years will live in. (Renting privately in Oxford is generally quite expensive and lots of people do have housing issues, though others do enjoy it!)

The accommodation is pretty nice, honestly the buildings are quite new so I'd say they're just kind of like a standard fairly spacious student room? Most people living in college have a nice view out onto the lawn/river which is pretty. The only thing I'd mention is that in 1st year, a lot of students are in Garden building which only has small kitchens and only has a microwave and toaster, no hob which is annoying if you want to cook. Hope that helps?!
thank you so much!! that’s so helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads