The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Changing Oxford College after deadline

Hi everyone, I had wanted to apply to Magdalen College for music but was discouraged from my UCAS tutor at school who said I 'was not good enough'. Disheartened, I brought this up to my music teacher who disagreed with the UCAS tutor. For further context, I am an experienced performer, being a member of NYO, and passionate in composition, which is the field I would like to enter in the future.

The UCAS tutor mentioned that no one in my school was applying to St Hilda's and suggested that I apply there instead, although there was no room for choice due to her unkind nature.

Over the past few weeks, I have been reconsidering my options, and I fear that I may not be suitable for St Hilda's. However, I realise that Christ Church has many qualities that appeal to me. As a result, I considered changing college choice via Oxford's UCAS application change form, but asked for my UCAS tutor's advice out of respect beforehand. Before she could reply, the deadline for the form passed, and now I am slightly disappointed.

My friends say I should call the admissions team tomorrow morning, but I am unsure if there is any point. I would be happy to go to Hilda's if all goes well, but if there is an opportunity for me to change colleges once more, I would be really eager to take it on.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Email the colleges.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Sorry, only just seen this thread. You won't be able to change colleges yourself at this point. You will most likely have a second interview somewhere else in addition to St Hilda's (I don't think it's likely you'd be internally pooled pre-interview away from St Hilda's) and they might poach you instead. What is it that you think is so different about Magdalen and Christ Church, compared to St Hilda's? Are there particular concerns about your learning experience, that I might be able to reassure you about? (Am an Oxford music grad, albeit from a while ago :shakecane: )

Btw Oxford won't care about how good (or bad!) a performer you are :nah: Or how good or bad a composer you might be :nah:
Reply 3
Original post by toomey
Hi everyone, I had wanted to apply to Magdalen College for music but was discouraged from my UCAS tutor at school who said I 'was not good enough'. Disheartened, I brought this up to my music teacher who disagreed with the UCAS tutor. For further context, I am an experienced performer, being a member of NYO, and passionate in composition, which is the field I would like to enter in the future.

The UCAS tutor mentioned that no one in my school was applying to St Hilda's and suggested that I apply there instead, although there was no room for choice due to her unkind nature.

Over the past few weeks, I have been reconsidering my options, and I fear that I may not be suitable for St Hilda's. However, I realise that Christ Church has many qualities that appeal to me. As a result, I considered changing college choice via Oxford's UCAS application change form, but asked for my UCAS tutor's advice out of respect beforehand. Before she could reply, the deadline for the form passed, and now I am slightly disappointed.

My friends say I should call the admissions team tomorrow morning, but I am unsure if there is any point. I would be happy to go to Hilda's if all goes well, but if there is an opportunity for me to change colleges once more, I would be really eager to take it on.

Thanks!

Hey! I can't lie, I don't think you can change colleges now, sorry :frown: But as TLG has said you might be pooled to a different college during interviews anyway.

Also I'm a current student at St Hilda's, is there anything in particular that makes you think you wouldn't get on well here or that I could reassure you about? I'd also say that the music students on my corridor seem to really like their tutors so far!
Reply 4
Original post by toomey

Thanks!

Hi! I've had the same problem. I have not received a response from oxford yet, but I'm assuming the worse. Have you had any luck?

Quick Reply

Latest