The Student Room Group

Choosing which teacher training program to go into

Hello!
Before discovering that the government have practically done away with bursaries for potential history teachers, I had my mind set on doing a PGCE in History. Since then I've seen that a 10k bursary, tax-free and automatically given to students is available to do either a PGCE and/or QTS in Classics. My undergraduate degree was in History but I have a masters in Classical Archaeology and I'm hoping this will mean I am qualified to apply.

I just wanted to know whether it is possible after completing this that I can become a History teacher. I am just thinking about keeping my options open so that I can either become a Classics teacher (which would be the preferable choice) or a History teacher.
Hello! Just a thing to consider, not sure if you're aware, but a lot of classics PGCEs expect you to teach Latin also. Part of the interview process will be demonstrating subject knowledge etc. This is something to consider before applying.
The work load for a PGCE can be quite extensive, having to learn GCSE and maybe A-level Latin on top of that might make things a bit tough!
From what I understand, once you have QTS, you could teach anything, you just won't have the subject knowledge. I think there are courses you can do once qualified that will let you change subject. I know someone who did a mathematics PGCE for example, then they took training to get the subject knowledge for physics so they could teach that also.
If you're only wanting to do Classics to get better funding, you could look into training providers that offer salaried routes into teaching. Often the schools/providers will cover your tuition fees.
Original post by Always_Confused
Hello! Just a thing to consider, not sure if you're aware, but a lot of classics PGCEs expect you to teach Latin also. Part of the interview process will be demonstrating subject knowledge etc. This is something to consider before applying.
The work load for a PGCE can be quite extensive, having to learn GCSE and maybe A-level Latin on top of that might make things a bit tough!
From what I understand, once you have QTS, you could teach anything, you just won't have the subject knowledge. I think there are courses you can do once qualified that will let you change subject. I know someone who did a mathematics PGCE for example, then they took training to get the subject knowledge for physics so they could teach that also.
If you're only wanting to do Classics to get better funding, you could look into training providers that offer salaried routes into teaching. Often the schools/providers will cover your tuition fees.

Thanks for the response! Yes, a lot of them do expect you to teach Latin. There are a few exceptions however and this is changing. OCR's GCSE and A-Level past papers in Classical Civilization and Ancient History all include translated primary sources, so I am aware that this will not be a problem for some teacher training programs.

Thanks very much for tips! I am looking into school direct routes to cover costs but there doesn't seem to be very much and do not want to go down Teach First route
Original post by curiousaccount
Thanks for the response! Yes, a lot of them do expect you to teach Latin. There are a few exceptions however and this is changing. OCR's GCSE and A-Level past papers in Classical Civilization and Ancient History all include translated primary sources, so I am aware that this will not be a problem for some teacher training programs.

Thanks very much for tips! I am looking into school direct routes to cover costs but there doesn't seem to be very much and do not want to go down Teach First route

I've not got much personal insight on History / Classics, so not sure how this will work, but a few other things to keep in mind is that :

- getting onto a training course can sometimes be easier than actually getting a job. Might be worth looking at schools in your local area and researching how many of them offer roles teaching Classics with no expectation of teaching Latin

- trying to gain some insight on how common it is to train in Classics and then be able to teach history. Since history is already quite a popular training course, you might find that if you end up having to apply for a purely history role, you will find it hard to compete with others who have history PGCEs

Like I said, I don't have much insight on how true those points will be, but it's something I'd look into before you start applying just so you don't train and then end up struggling for a job.
Original post by bluebeetle
I've not got much personal insight on History / Classics, so not sure how this will work, but a few other things to keep in mind is that :

- getting onto a training course can sometimes be easier than actually getting a job. Might be worth looking at schools in your local area and researching how many of them offer roles teaching Classics with no expectation of teaching Latin

- trying to gain some insight on how common it is to train in Classics and then be able to teach history. Since history is already quite a popular training course, you might find that if you end up having to apply for a purely history role, you will find it hard to compete with others who have history PGCEs

Like I said, I don't have much insight on how true those points will be, but it's something I'd look into before you start applying just so you don't train and then end up struggling for a job.

Thanks very much. That's put things in perspective for me! I will start doing some more research :smile:
I think that the vast majority (if not all) of the Classics PGCE options will require a knowledge of Latin to at least A-Level standard, but it is worth checking with the providers (I think that there are about 20 institutions offering it at the moment).

Employability is also something worth considering. It is much more common to find History posts where the school will be impressed on your keenness to introduce Classical Civilisation and/or Ancient History at GCSE and/or A-Level than it is to find Classics jobs which don't require any language teaching.
Reply 6
I'm doing a computing PGCE so don't know much about humanities. I observed a philosophy lesson and the teacher also teaches RE. Most secondary teachers seem to teach two subjects at my placement school.

The PGCE can be quite intensive but 20% in and I'm doing OK. It's kind of like the occasional panic and late night but it's manageable if you have zero other commitments. Also my school is within walking distance (but it's the most challenging school out of all the places our cohort were sent).

Jobs can be hard to find after completing the PGCE (especially in the current climate when next to no teachers are quitting) as my relative couldn't find a primary job after her QTS year.

It was pretty easy to get on a PGCE although there will be more competition this year. For subject knowledge I reckon industry experience beats a degree in the subject as I have done a lot better in subject tests than the undergrads who are doing teaching as part of their course.

Also prior teaching experience is very useful and will speed up lesson planning etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending